Where in the world is SEBTS? {Wendy Kelly}

This summer, we have been hearing about the adventures of SEBTS women around the world. Today's post is from Wendy Kelly, a Seminary Wife and Connecting Point Team Member. Read on to find out how Wendy served the Lord as she went to Haiti.
Over the last few years, I have been struggling to find my place within God’s plan for fulfilling His mission. I have battled within my Spirit with the command to Go make disciples, (Matt. 28:19) and my own desire to stay within my comfort zone.  How was God going to use me, a self-proclaimed clean freak and germaphobe, to take His gospel to my Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, and to the ends of the earth? (Acts 1:8)
In April of 2013, I was presented with the idea of going to Despinos, Haiti to assist Haiti Gospel Mission with a kindergarten graduation in July of 2013.  I received all the details and information packet within a few weeks. In the meantime, I began praying asking God for his plan and direction. I was asking myself why should I go? Why should I stay? God quickly reminded me of His mission, Among them you shine as lights in the world.(Phil. 2:15) Also, my husband and I have been exploring the idea of International Missions, and I knew this trip could give me the experience I needed. After a lot of prayer, I told my husband I would go, if we could come up with the money (this was my way-out-clause). To make a long story short, within a few days of committing to go, we had collected over $800 from friends, family members, and church family that wanted to support God’s mission in Haiti.

So, I went to Haiti, and nothing anyone could have said to me before I went could have prepared me for the life altering experience I was about to have. My husband and several others I know have been to Haiti and other third world countries, and they had described the poverty to me, but their words could not prepare me for the immense physical and spiritual poverty I would encounter. 

The first few days were particularly difficult for me. Culture Shock is the term commonly used, but for me it was something closer to Culture Trauma. I could not have ever imagined people living in such impoverished conditions. One day, as I was eating the peanut butter and graham crackers that I had taken with me, one of the local missionaries approached me. She told me about a family in the village that had not eaten in two days. I felt like I didn’t have much, but God used that situation to show me that He had provided everything I needed for that day, and that He would provide everything I would need for the next day as well.

Over the next few days, as we began to move toward fulfilling the task we went to accomplish, helping the school with a graduation ceremony, I started to connect with some of the Haitian people, especially some of the children. I recognized that they, like me, were created in the image of God, and they, like me, had physical and spiritual needs. I saw their needs and wanted to provide for all of them, but I couldn’t. I wanted to feed everyone who was hungry, and adopt all of the orphans. I wanted to sponsor every child whose parents couldn’t afford to send them to school, but I couldn’t. I quickly recognized that the only thing I could offer most of these people was the love of Christ.
The most uncomfortable experience for me was our trip to the market. Imagine a huge flea market with tents and umbrellas everywhere.  It was hot, smelly, and dirty.  It was crowded and very unorganized. The goods they were selling ranged from fruit to raw fish to clothing to hygiene items. The Haitians were very loud, and yelled “Blanc,” which means white, because they wanted the others to know that we were in the market so we would buy from them. This was very frightening for me. They stared at us and followed us around. All I knew to do in that moment was pray. As we walked and ducked from tent to tent, God reminded me to “Be strong and courageous!” (Joshua 1:9) Knowing God was with me in that moment gave me comfort. As I began to walk out of the market, I took one last look and God showed me that these are his people too, trying to earn a living to provide for their families.  It was very humbling, and even though I was frightened, I’m grateful that I got to see beyond my own needs.

There was so much that I got to experience. I had the opportunity to take some clothing to families that did not have any clothing other than the clothes they were wearing. I spent some time working in the medical clinic distributing medical supplies in the pharmacy and sharing small toys with some of the sick children. One of the hardest parts of the trip was seeing people turned away from the pharmacy because of their lack of very inexpensive (by American standards) supplies. The people were unable to receive the medical care they needed because the clinic was running low on supplies that we can buy over the counter at our local pharmacy and often take for granted.

Two things that were really a blessing for me were the Women’s Bible Study, and the kindergarten graduation. The Women’s Bible Study had been studying the Book of Esther, and on the night I attended we watched the movie “A Night with the King.” The women thoroughly enjoyed the movie despite the fact that it was in English and the missionaries had to translate for them. They were very animated and emotionally involved with the characters in the movie.

At the graduation, I recognized how much Americans take education for granted. There were twenty-two children that were supposed to graduate, but only eleven of them were able to pass their tests. Because of financial difficulties and other issues the children have with attending school, it had taken most of the children in the program three years to progress to what is considered a kindergarten education in the United States.

The most pressing need in Haiti is not food or shelter. The most pressing need is not medical care or education. Although those needs are real and very serious, the most pressing need the people I encountered had was the same as the most pressing need for American people, a Savior. That truth puts me in a tough situation, because that is the very task Christ has given me. That is the very task I was burdened with before I decided to go. God didn’t ask for volunteers to go. He commissioned and commanded me to go. Regardless of my comfort level, I am supposed to participate in His mission of being glorified by people of every tribe tongue and nation. I know that the only way I was able to do this work in Haiti was because of Christ in me. (Phil. 4:13) 


Wendy is the wife of a seminary student, a stay at home mom, and a student in the Biblical Women’s Institute at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.  Her goal is to be equipped to serve alongside her husband in ministry by exercising her spiritual gifts of compassion and hospitality. She has a passion for children and women’s ministry. She enjoys hosting events in her home and spending time with her family. In her spare time, she likes to run, bake, and shop.

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.