Where in the world is SEBTS? {Katie Mercer Jordan}

This summer, we have been hearing about the adventures of all sorts of SEBTS women. Today's post is from Katie Mercer Jordan, a 2-time SEBTS grad and the wife of one of our SEBTS staff (an alumnus himself), Brandon Jordan.  Read her post to find out what life is like after graduation while Katie and Brandon wait to see where the Lord will call them.

Where can you find me this summer?

Brandon and I live locally in Raleigh.  The summer has taken on a new feel for us since we are both out of school.  We definitely still look forward to summer, but our routine doesn’t change too much.  What does change is the routine of those around us-this matters because we work with youth!!

What are we doing this summer!?!

With the exception of a few trips (to the beach and to Maryland with my family) we will be local to Raleigh this summer!  We try to stay local on the weekends since we believe in the importance of local community at church.  One of the ways we serve at our church (Christ Covenant Church…a.k.a. fantastic!) is working with the youth.  And not just any youth; we work with MIDDLE SCHOOLERS!!!  This has been a blast for us and also definitely a lot of work!  

Summer provides a great opportunity for us to minister since all of our students have vacation time, and we don’t have to worry about it being a school night!  This can also be tough, however.  We have to teach the kids the importance of church and that it is not something you need a break from.  We are trying to help them better understand commitment and community. BUT, there is nothing we would rather be doing!  We have a great youth group and love working with them!


Other than that, we are just working!  Work has been a wonderful opportunity for me. I work for a terrific company that is a lot of fun to work for, but it is also definitely a place that needs the Gospel.  As I work hard but characterize it with a Christian work ethic, I have had some wonderful opportunities to be culturally engaging.  I have been put into some great situations which have allowed me to not only share my faith, but also to display that I live a different life than my coworkers do.  While at SEBTS, I worked on campus in a variety of jobs.  Though I would not trade that for a million years, it is also very refreshing to be where I am now!  I feel that my time on campus prepared me very well for engaging people and being a part of their lives.


Katie is from Annapolis Maryland, but would consider Raleigh, North Carolina her home!  After graduating high school, she went to The College at Southeastern and then decided she just couldn’t get enough so she stayed around for her masters!!  While she had a ton of great experiences at SEBTS, the best was meeting her husband Brandon!!  She graduated with her M.A. from SEBTS a year ago and since then has been working in the Raleigh area.  Brandon just graduated with his MDIV in May and the two are looking for where the Lord would have them go next!  While waiting, she works for Ashton Woods Homes and Brandon is the assistant director of Financial Aid at SEBTS!  They just celebrated one year of being married and are having a blast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.