Good Summer Reads, {Amy Whitfield's Picks}



As the summer continues, so do our summer reading suggestions.  Today, we highlight suggestions from Amy Whitfield, a mom, avid reader, and professor’s wife.  Read on to discover Amy's good summer reads…

 

Summer is one of my favorite times for reading, because there is a feeling of freedom in the atmosphere. I love the moment when I look ahead to vacations and the coming longer days, and I plan my reading list for the next few months. Typically, my stack of books is unrealistically high and I never quite manage to finish all that I wanted to plow through, but I am fine with that. I would rather have more left over to lead me into the cool evenings of fall.
  

I enjoy reading across multiple genres, and I have a tendency to make my selections in different categories. So when thinking of three books to recommend, I decided to do the same thing. Here are some of my favorites, books that have stayed with me long after I read them, books that have worked on me as I enjoyed them...

 

Jayber Crow
by Wendell Berry 

      I love fiction, and can often be found reading stories that I can get lost in, that take me to another world. One author I love is Wendell Berry, and thankfully I have not even come close to finishing all that he has to offer. He writes a little bit of everything, with quite a repertoire of poetry and essays as well. However, I think his best contribution has been his "Port William" series, where he tells the life of a community in the hills of Kentucky, one citizen at a time. This series is a gift that continues to give, and you can honestly start anywhere. But most people will recommend that you begin with Jayber Crow. This book had such an impact on me, as I got to look at the changing world through the eyes of a small town barber in the mid-20th century. Wendell Berry uses story to communicate the profound impact of community and I walked away from it more than entertained, but changed. It's delightful and funny-- a great break from the busy world-- but it also teaches something. It remains one of my favorites.

 

  

  Kisses from Katie
by Katie Davis


When it comes to nonfiction, biographies are some of my favorite books to read. I love seeing that some of the most fantastic stories come from our daily lives, and I never get tired of reading the stories of others-- from American first ladies and European royalty to missionaries and even just ordinary people, there is always something to learn and take delight in. One of my favorite stories comes from Katie Davis, a young lady from Nashville, TN, who now makes her home in Uganda as mother to thirteen little girls and servant to an untold number of local citizens. Her story stretched my understanding of what it means to follow Jesus, and reading it forever changed me.


Because He Loves Me
by Elyse M. Fitzpatrick 

 

Finally, I do like to read books that help me to understand the gospel better-- I suppose I would call this my "sanctification" genre, although I am not sure that is a library-approved category! :) One of my very favorite books of this type is by Elyse Fitzpatrick, titled Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life. Although I had been a Christian for many years when I first picked this up, I felt like it did more than just give me practical help or help me understand a singular concept. It changed the way I saw the world. I came to see how the gospel mattered in everything about my day, and during that season as a pastor's wife in a small town and mother of two preschoolers, I was having a difficult time finding satisfaction in the details of life. It opened me up to a new understanding, and the Lord truly used that book to draw me closer to Him.



It is so difficult to only share three choices, as I could talk all day about the books I love, but these give a small picture of what my shelves look like. Summer is one of the best times to catch up on great stories—stories from the imagination, stories from real life, and the greatest story of all. I hope that you are enjoying it as much as I am! Now, back to that tall stack waiting for me . . . .  ;-) 




 
Amy Whitfield is married to Keith, who teaches systematic theology. They have two children-- Mary (age 9), and Drew (age 7). Through the years she has been a youth ministry intern, a live-in nanny, a pastor's wife, a homeschooling mom, an executive assistant, and a professor's wife-- and she has come to understand the need for women to be transformed by the gospel in even the smallest details of daily life. Amy currently wears many hats and enjoys them all: wife and mom, assistant to Charlotte Akin, and she does additional work for both SEBTS and LifeWay Christian Resources. In her spare time, she enjoys a variety of hobbies. But most of all, she loves to read. :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.