Getting to Know You {Megan Lawrence}

It is the last week of our  Get to Know You  series. We have loved sharing with each one of you, and it has been so neat to get to know those of you who have passed through our office so far this semester! Feel free to stop by and visit any time. 

Our last "Get to Know You" post introduces Megan Lawrence.  She's the other half of our amazing office assistant duo team.  Read all about Megan below & leave her some comment love!

Get to know Megan Lawrence and her superhero husband this week!
  
We would love to hear your conversion story—when and how did God reveal Jesus Christ to you? 
 I grew up attending church with my family, but it wasn’t until I was in the 8th grade that the true message of God’s salvation provided through Jesus Christ hit home for me.  I was reading the “Left Behind” book series when I understood fully for the first time that my sin had condemned me to hell and that God’s grace applied through Jesus’ sacrifice was the only thing that could save me. I prayed the prayer at the end of the book for Christ to be the Lord of my life. Since that very moment, I knew that my life would be lived in His service. 

How did you end up at SEBTS? What did you study? How are you using it now?
The Lord truly brought me here. An international business major in undergrad, I had a bad overseas experience and was hoping to find a way to serve the Lord that did not involve international missions. I had always loved children’s ministry and had been working as my church’s 3 & 4 year old coordinator for a few months when I felt God calling me to pursue a master’s degree at a seminary. A few people from the church I attended during undergrad were already here, and the Lord graciously kept me from noticing that SEBTS was a Great Commission Seminary (It must have taken Him a LOT of work! The school’s focus is so clear!), so I submitted my application. Once I got here, He changed my heart towards international mission work, and I graduated with a Master of Arts in Christian Education.  I use my degree as an assistant editor of the Treasuring Christ Curriculum produced by Providence Baptist Church. TCC is a Sunday School curriculum for children in preschool through high school.

When and how did you meet your husband? Can you briefly relate the story of your relationship from the time you met until you were married? Are there any funny or memorable moments you'd be willing to tell us about?
Greg and I met while attending Bayleaf. I felt like I knew him before he knew that I existed because he played violin in the young adult band, so he was up in front every week. He claims that the first time he knew that I existed was at a red-carpet themed birthday party (where I dressed a bit like Avril Lavigne).  We were friends for a few years before we started dating, and we dated for a year and a half before we were engaged. From there, though, we sped things up a bit and were married 5 short months after getting engaged. One of the craziest things about our relationship had to be our first date. For our very first date, Greg invited me to spend a week in New Jersey with his family for his sister’s wedding! It was definitely a sink-or-swim first date! But his family was awesome, and they seemed to like me well enough to let me stay. 
 Megan and Greg's first date

What is one piece of advice would you give to other wives on loving and helping their husband? 
I am such a newly-wed that I feel thoroughly inadequate to advise other wives on loving and helping their husbands. One thing that I have started to learn in these last 6 months is that different men feel respected through different circumstances, but NONE of them feel respected if they are called out in front of other men for a shortcoming. Save the critique for a private conversation, and praise more than you criticize.

What is one piece of advice you would give to single female students as they attend SEBTS?  
I went through SEBTS as a single student, and the biggest lesson that I learned was to live by faith in the Lord’s work rather than by what I thought seminary was supposed to be. He taught me lessons I never dreamed I would learn, brought about life changes that I was adamantly opposed to when I first entered seminary, and broke down so many stereotypes I had allowed myself to believe. God worked mightily through my roommates as he taught me all of this, and life at SEBTS would not have been the same without them. Just remember that it is okay not to have it all planned out or to understand it all right from the beginning! And let your friends walk with you through what the Lord wants to do.
April, Kara, and Courtney: Three of the beautiful women who challenged Megan throughout her time at SEBTS. This was taken at Kara's 20s themed birthday party!

What are you currently studying in your times with the Lord? What is one aspect of God’s character and the gospel you’ve learned about this past year?
I have been reading the Gospel of Luke recently. After a year of enormous changes, I just needed a reminder of who Jesus was and what his life meant for all of us. These past few weeks in particular, God has been reminding me over and over of His goodness and His strength. As Greg and I spend the next few years preparing to follow the Lord (possibly to the Northeast of the U.S.), I have needed His reminder that any work that we do for Him is because of Him, and it is enabled by His power in me.

What is your role in the Women’s Life Office?  What’s your favorite part about the job?
I am one of two Administrative Assistants in the Women’s Life Office (you met Laura last week). In the office, we take care of day-to-day operations to help the office and programs run efficiently. We do all that we can to make sure that Denise and Carrie and the office as a whole can provide the wonderful classes, events, and programs that you all enjoy. We’ll most likely be the ones to answer an email or the phone whenever you get in touch with us. My favorite part is connecting with women who are leaders in their churches or communities. It is so interesting to hear each woman’s story!

Don't forget that you can stop by & visit any of us in the Women's Life Office Monday-Friday!  We hope to see you soon!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.