Getting To Know You {Carrie Gilliam}


Welcome to the 2nd week of our
"Getting To Know You"
posts from the WLO.


Today we're introducing Carrie Gilliam, our Women's Ministry Coordinator.
 Want to know a little about Carrie, read on...

 
We would love to hear your conversion story—when and how did God reveal Jesus Christ to you? 

I became a believer when I was seven years old. My parents were both believers, so I was raised learning about God and the importance of Jesus. I remember being at a church puppet show where the puppeteer presented the Gospel and the importance of believing that Christ died to pay for our sins. I decided that he was right and that I wanted to believe that too, so I went down front with another little girl from my church and ask Jesus to be my Lord – at that moment my journey began and my life has never been the same!

When and how did you meet your husband? Can you briefly relate the story of your relationship from the time you met until you were married? Are there any funny or memorable moments you'd be willing to tell us about?

I wanted to be a Gilliam early on. When I was in the 2nd grade I met a Gilliam and he became my first love. I used to write Mrs. Gilliam in my diary, dreaming that would one day be my last name. Unfortunately things didn’t work out with that Gilliam and like every other grade school romance we moved on…until I was in the 8th grade. That’s when I met Gilliam # 1’s cousin, Cameron. He was new to our school, and it was love at first sight- for me anyway. Not long after my secret crush began, my parents broke the news that we would be moving. Sadly, I watched my dreams fall, crashing to the ground. That was in 1996.

Fast forward to 2005. I was a student at SEBTS. Since I lived in the area, I decided to attend my old “home” church out in Louisburg. One glorious Sunday, after church, a group of us went to eat lunch in town. As I ate my Mexican food, I looked over to the far corner of the room and was suddenly stunned. “What?! Could it be true?!” Were my eyes playing tricks? In fact, they were not! I could clearly see him: Cameron Gilliam, my childhood love…my secret crush from the 8th grade! He looked a little different – a bit more grown up. He also caught me staring at him (how embarrassing)! That little stare was obviously providential, as it was the starting point to a love that has been a true gift from God! We’ve been married for 6 ½ years, and I’m so proud that my last name is Gilliam ;)
Carrie & Cameron with their niece, Kenna, and nephew, Tate.

What is one piece of advice you would give to single female students as they attend SEBTS?

I was single when I started at SEBTS, so this question is dear to my heart. Use this time to strengthen your belief in the Lord, His truthfulness, and the awesomeness of His character. He says He is good; choose to believe it. He says He is faithful; choose to believe it. He says He knows what is best for you; choose to believe it. In fact, take joy in it; take joy in Him and where He has you! Take joy in the waiting. You’ll learn a lesson of contentment many folks never endeavor to learn.

What is one piece of advice would you give to other wives on loving and helping their husbands?

Cameron was never a student, but I can give some thoughts from the general perspective of being a wife and a helper. Remember that your husband is a person, too. The Lord has equipped him with a mind and a heart and his own ability to think about things and make decisions. This is a good thing…encourage it in your husband. Learn to love his perspective on life and simple things like how to do house-hold chores or cook a meal. Most likely you’ll approach them from completely different processes. But that’s the beauty. Learn to watch him & the way he works. Learn to value it and treasure it. You’ll love him more for it!

What are you currently studying in your times with the Lord? What is one aspect of God’s character and the gospel you’ve learned about this past year?


Currently, I’m working through the Old Testament and am in the book of Deuteronomy. It’s been a really neat time for me as I am continually being challenged in my thought life and how I think of God. So often, I make up what I think God’s character should be like according to my logic. Reading Scripture from the beginning is forcing me to realize how shallow and sinful my preconceived ideas about how God thinks/acts really are. I am learning what God says about His character and how He says He relates to His people. It’s a really beautiful and humbling eye opener!

Carrie with girls from her class at their SEBTS graduation. 

How did you end up at SEBTS? What did you study? How are you using it now?

I actually came to summer camp here as a child. My Dad was a student in the late 80’s. When I was in college applying for graduate schools the Lord really changed my heart on His direction for my life...so instead of becoming a VCU grad student, I became an SEBTS grad  I received a Masters of Arts in Women’s Studies in the fall of 2007 and currently use what I gleaned from my studies in my job here every day!

What is your role in the Women’s Life Office? What’s your favorite part about the job?

My official title is Women’s Ministry Coordinator, which means that I do anything pertaining to ministering to the women connected with SEBTS. Currently, I’m still learning my job and how to effectively do it…(any suggestions?) but if I had to pick a favorite part, I’d say it’s a tie between teaching in the Women’s Institute and just plain ol’ relationship building with our SEBTS girls. We’ve got some really great women around this school!

Where do you attend church?

Cameron & I attend North Star Baptist Church (NSBC meets at Cedar Creek Middle School in Youngsville.) We love, love, love our church!

Carrie with her friend Rhonda from North Star, getting ready for the Youngsville Christmas Parade.

Tell a funny/random story about yourself?

I won 2nd place in the 1991 National Whistler’s Convention (children’s division). I was 8. See for yourself; it’s international history!

What would you ideal meal be?

Not sure, but my ideal snack involves soft-serve yogurt, cookie dough, fresh fruit, and marshmallow fluff. Strange combination, I know.


Come by and meet Carrie in the Women's Life Office.  We are located in the Ledford Center on the 2nd floor.  Our office hours are Monday through Thursday 8am to 5pm, and Friday's 8am to 4pm.  We are closed daily from 12-1 for lunch. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.