Getting To Know You {Denise O'Donoghue}



It's the start of a new year, and each new year brings about the opportunity to refresh and renew. This year, with so many new students entering our programs, we thought we'd spend a little time introducing ourselves to you. 

Over the next 4 Mondays we are going to be sharing  "Getting to Know You" posts, where you can learn more about all of us here in the Women's Life Office.  Haven't you always wanted to hear how Denise came to know the Lord, her advice to female seminary students, or even her favorite meal?  Well here is your chance to get to know us all. 

We are starting off this Monday with Denise O'Donoghue, the Director of Women's Life.  Our hope is that after you learn more about who we are and what we do, you will come and visit us in the office so that we can meet and get to know you, too.  

 
Can you tell us a little about your parents, your siblings, your growing up years? 

I grew up primarily in Charlotte, NC. My sister Allison did not come along until I was 13 years old, so she is more like a daughter in many ways. This meant that my growing up years were mainly as an only child. My mom was a believer, but my dad did not come to be one until after I was married and our first child was born.

We would love to hear your conversion story—when and how did God reveal Jesus Christ to you?

When I was about 8 years old, I heard a revival preacher explain about the free gift of salvation that God offered through Jesus Christ. It was a way to make things right between you and God. I knew that I wanted to be part of God’s family, and so I accepted Christ during the revival.

When and how did you meet your husband? Can you briefly relate the story of your relationship from the time you met until you were married? Are there any funny or memorable moments you'd be willing to tell us about?

Rod and I met on a half blind date. I say half because he knew who I was, but I didn’t remember meeting him. I was 16 the first time we went out. He was 20. We didn’t date again until a year later, but were engaged 3 months after that. He wanted to be sure I was “his” before I left for college. A year later, when I was 19, we married.

One of Rod’s favorite things to do when we first got married was to play practical jokes. His favorite was to hide under the bed or between the mattress and box springs and then surprise me when I came to bed. It was easy to fool me with pillows shaped to look like he was in the bed, and of course it was dark.

 
Denise and her husband, Rod, and their 4 grandsons. 

What is one piece of advice you would give to single female students as they attend SEBTS? 

For every woman, focus on the here and now and the calling God has placed on your life this day. For students, pour your energies into school – that is the place God has you now. Please don’t waste important time and energy worrying about the future… what will I do when I graduate? Will I be married? Etc.

What is one piece of advice would you give to other wives on loving and helping their husbands?  

For the wives who are supporting their husbands, especially those who are newly married, I can identify with you. Rod started law school shortly after we were married, and what I can remember of those times was him being holed up in the bedroom studying every night. I now know that school will pass quickly and the best way to help your husband is to pray for him and to be an encourager. I am afraid I was more of a nag, demanding attention when he had so little time to give.

Who is a godly older woman who has influenced you, and what is the most important thing she has taught you?

My friend Frances has a saying that has really helped me conquer worry: “In light of eternity, does it really matter?” My tendency is to worry about anything and everything. This saying is short and easy to remember and puts life into perspective for me.

What are you currently studying in your times with the Lord? What is one aspect of God’s character and the gospel you’ve learned about this past year?

Presently, I am reading through the books of John. As I read, I am identifying characteristics of a true believer and those of a false believer. It has shown light on areas of my life where I am not living as Christ would have me. Before that, I read through Psalms twice. The first time just for the joy of reading it. I was inspired to go back and reread it and journal all the attributes of God that I found there. It really changed my time of adoration and praise – just searching for what God has said about Himself through His Word.

How did you end up at SEBTS? What did you study? How are you using it now?

I came to SEBTS in search of training that would help me be a better Women’s Ministry Coordinator at my church. I studied Biblical Counseling because I felt it was my weakest area in ministering to the women in my church. I use it now as I work with the women of SEBTS, helping them find biblical solutions to the issues they encounter.

What is your role in the Women’s Life Office?  What’s your favorite part about the job?

I am the Director of Women’s Life. It is hard to identify just one favorite part, since it is such a great job. I love to teach and have the opportunity to do that in the Biblical Women’s Institute as well as at the graduate level in the Women’s Studies programs. I also love working with women on an individual basis and seeing how God is at work in their lives – it is like a front row seat to cheer the women on to what God would have them do and then seeing how He leads and guides. Finally, I love the women who I work with. They inspire me to be the woman God created me to be.


  Denise O'Donoghue speaking at one of our Connecting Point events earlier this year.

Where do you attend church? 

Bay Leaf Baptist Church in Raleigh.

Tell a funny/random story about yourself? 

I can’t think of anything particularly funny, but I do like some things that many women are not especially fond of. I like to watch college football and basketball. I like to go camping, or just sit by the fire pit in our backyard. I love to scuba dive and have ridden in a hot air balloon several times. Having said all that, I am NOT athletic, hate to exercise, and have no rhythm for dancing. I have recently been introduced to auctions and have found them to be a fun way to spend time.


Denise and her grandson playing on the beach.

What would you ideal meal be? 


My ideal meal can be identified not by the food, but by the company. Our children have lived all over the world the last several years, so my ideal meal is one where our children, spouses, and grandkids are all present.

What is your goal for 2013?


My goal for 2013 is to complete my research and writing of my dissertation in order to graduate with my EdD this year.
  
 Come by and meet Denise in the Women's Life Office.  We are located in the Ledford Center on the 2nd floor.  Our office hours are Monday through Thursday 8am to 5pm, and Friday's 8am to 4pm.  We are closed daily from 12-1 for lunch. 

1 comments:

  • AgS | January 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

    I love this idea! And, given the hot air balloon experience, I think Denise should come visit and we can do the hot air balloon over Cappadocia!! Miss you all!!

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.