Lessons from the Field Part 7


Lessons from the Field is a series from one of our own who is serving overseas.  Please join us as we learn about what God has taught and continues to teach her as she and her family serve. To view the earlier post from Amy Lynn* click here

7.  A Tight Rope Life – How to do it all, family, language and ministry.

                        A friend of mine once commented that life in the Middle East is a lot like the magician who holds the metal contraption and carefully begins adding plates, spinning them in sequence, until he is balancing all of them.  One tip too far in either direction or forgetting to spin each place in its turn would send the plates crashing down.  He was trying to help me understand that taking on too much can many times leave you in the midst of a huge mess of broken glass.  What I learned over time is that the magician is really no different than us, except that he has mastered the craft of how to keep all the plates spinning in the air at the same time.  

 
Like a physician who investigates the problems at hand and then triages life threatening to simple, becoming a master practitioner takes time, wisdom and patience.  Triage originated in World War I by French doctors who needed to quickly decide how to process an incoming patient so that they can provide the right care, at the right time, in the right way.  These four categories of triage are, immediate, delayed, minimal, and expectant.  Here is a simple explanation of the categories, which can easily be translated into everyday life.  

       Immediate: The casualty requires immediate medical attention and will not survive if not seen soon. Any compromise to the casualty's respiration, hemorrhage control, or shock control could be fatal.
       Delayed: The casualty requires medical attention within 6 hours. Injuries are potentially life-threatening, but can wait until the Immediate casualties are stabilized and evacuated.
          Minimal: "Walking wounded," the casualty requires medical attention when all higher priority patients have been evacuated, and may not require stabilization or monitoring.
          Expectant: The casualty is expected not to reach higher medical support alive without compromising the treatment of higher priority patients. Care should not be abandoned, spare any remaining time and resources after Immediate and Delayed patients have been treated.
         
            Immediate - Arriving on the field brought a barrage of tasks that had to completed and many times I over pressured myself into thinking that company tasks took priority over the most immediate needs in my life.  My husband, my family and my home required the most immediate action each day.  Trying to balance without looking to their needs first, inevitably, led to crashing plates.  I let a lot of plates crash, because my focus was on work rather than teaching and training my own little blessings first.  Remembering, who I was in accordance with Titus 2 teaching really helped me discern how to triage better.  It took some time to get there emotionally, but realizing there was a reason “pillars” like our friend Lottie M. did not even allow young moms to take on huge responsibilities of work while they had babies clinging to there skirts helped me greatly.  

            After family and home, language was my most pressing need for culture adjustment and fitting in, but unfortunately there were days, weeks and even months I remember waving my kids off so I could study.  Feeling helpless was a daily occurrence and the guilt I felt as my son struggled day in and day out because he and his schooling were not triaged correctly was overwhelming at times.  A friend recently told me that she felt there was no shortage of holding one another accountable to language and work, but that she wished someone would hold her more accountable for her marriage and her kids.  I totally agree from my own experience.  Learning language is vital but not to the determinate of your family.  These are hard questions but is it really obedience to neglect your family for the sake of your “ministry”?  How much time is too much spent learning to disciple others when you fail to disciple your own children?  I don’t know all the answers of course, but I do know that the time with my kids will fly by.  (In fact, I have one preparing to head off to boarding school next year!)  You only have so much time to be with them and to be obedient with this calling.  

            Delayed – Putting things off for a little while is not lazy, especially if you are working on something more important at the time.  This doesn’t mean completely letting go.  Things like reports, answering emails, connecting with your prayer networks back home etc are good things but in the balancing act that is living overseas, they can be placed into the delayed category without feeling guilt.  

            Minimal – Unfortunately, laundry seems to always fall into this category but when kids can’t find clean underwear it is time to re-triage.  In this category it was imperative to critically look at some things that I had previously placed into a higher category and realize that they just weren’t as important right now.  Sometimes, that means studying less than I think is necessary.  That may also mean cooking something more simple rather than insisting I try out that new recipe.  Learning to let go can be difficult but cleansing.

            Expectant – This was the hardest category to discern.  I never like to let things go, but sometimes, it became necessary to realize that maybe I wasn’t called to continue trying to spin that plate any longer.  There are things I am called to do but things that others are called to do as well.  If I try to take on every task that comes my way, I am neglecting to allow others to grow in their walk by doing the job.  One of the biggest lessons I learned in this category was delegation.  This is nothing new for me but there is always a small part that delights in proving my skills.  The only one I need to prove anything to is God and if I can’t look at some of these things as “dead” to me, allowing others to pick it up, I will never grow and will spend a lot of time struggling unnecessarily.  

            Learning to spin the plates required balance and a correct discernment as to when, how and in what order to do it.  There was never a shortage of things vying for my time and attention but as a friend once said, when I “have zeal for His Word, prayer, worship, being holy, serving my husband and loving my kids, all the other things will grow up in time from that root.”  

            Serving my husband is a whole other ball of wax that requires unconditional love, submission, respect and a desire to honor.  If you are like me at all, learning to live with and love your spouse overseas can be a challenge.  Lesson 8 is A Second Honeymoon – Life with your spouse!

 Amy Lynn* has been married to her husband for 15 years.  He graduated last May from SEBTS with an MDIV in International Church Planting.  They are currently serving in the Middle East.  They have 4 children, ages 13, 11, 5 and 2.  Amy Lynn enjoys reading, writing and working out when she is not studying Arabic or visiting friends. 
*Name has been changed to ensure protection for our contributor. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.