Lessons from the Field #4


I heard a sermon once by Johnny Hunt on ministry.  He spoke of the many times in his life that God worked in amazing and miraculous ways, despite what he or any other human was doing at the time.  When talking about forging out into new territory in ministry he encouraged, “Never assume you know what God is doing.”  Equally important is remembering that when assumptions are made about people, work, team, locals etc, the door is open for pride, misunderstanding, misdirection and chasing rabbit trails.  I am still learning to never assume I know what God is doing, never assuming I know what is best without checking all other possibilities, and never assuming I know people completely just because I have spent some time with them or studied their religion.   
            4.  A New View of Ministry – Never assume!
                        On campus, I soaked and studied, reading extensively on Islam, the history, theology and sects.  I came storming into the field pretty arrogantly convinced that I knew just as much if not more than the average Muslim about their own faith.  Figuring I could argue logically and actually make a difference, I started language and visiting friends and neighbors.  In my extremely conservative Muslim country, I had little time to actually begin evaluating their worldview, before we were whisked off in evacuation to a neighboring country.  What I found there was shocking.  I began discovering that the veil of Islam in this other country was as thin as a gauzy curtain and beneath it was pure secularism.  I had assumed that I knew how to discuss apologetics with all Muslims because I had studied conservatism but what I found was that just like in Christianity, not all Muslims are created equal.  Rather than focus in on their religion, I had to learn to dissect their worldview and get to the heart of what they actually believed about God.   
                        When genuine relationship is replaced with numbers, figures and research, it is extremely difficult to discern and listen to the Holy Spirit.  When talking with my friends and assuming I knew how God was working in their life and then targeting that area, I found myself spinning in the same argumentative circles.  It was only when I began to shut off the academic noise and pride and really listen to where my friends were, that the Spirit opened my eyes to where He was at work.  The moment I begin to feel like I really know a person, my new rule is to dig deeper and try to discover more about their worldview and the deeper spiritual truths they are living by.
                        It was easy for me to dream and brainstorm brilliant, at least in my mind, ideas of how I could help the community around me.  However, most of the time, these ideas weren’t really helpful because they didn’t meet the real needs in the community.  I needed to get in the mix and begin serving the community in ways that people were already involved in.  What this lead to was a better understanding of the community, what was available, and who was working.  Rather than assume that the latest methodology in platform strategy or entry into a community was the best, a lot of research, interviewing and prayer is needed. 
                        As I took more of a servant role to others, I was also able to begin learning more about project development, good practices and bad practices.  There were of course the bad examples of territorialism related to projects and teams.  But I also saw teams that functioned so well together, their projects were not only blossoming but exploding.  Assuming that my way is the only way to run/organize a project or team can easily lead to lack of productivity or even missing the open door God has provided. What I found in my own life is that assuming this, very quickly led to forgetting the main thing and losing touch with strategy.  When there is no strategy, I automatically take up a defensive tactic rather than listening to the Spirit and forming an offensive strategy that is in line with where He is already working and moving. 
                        I heard one of my leaders envisioning a time when we as a team could be so intertwined in strategy with a spirit of oneness, that when one group needed help, we could all work together to help one another.  Keeping my eye on the bigger goal and larger team has helped me to never assume my project or job is more important than someone else’s. 
                        Education is an invaluable, necessary and vital part of ministry but many times this has led me to make completely unnecessary assumptions.  So remember, never assume you know what God is doing.  Never assume you have learned all there is to know about a certain people group of religion.  Never assume you know the needs just because you live somewhere.  Never assume your team/project is bigger and therefore requires more of something or someone.  Never assume you know more than God!  There is always more to learn and God uses each and everyday on the field to bring me close to Him.  This process is as much about my own sanctification as it is about “inviting a lost world to stand and clap their hands in worship for King Jesus!”*  Stay tuned in for next week, “A New Worship – Only God Deserves the Pedestal”.  
 * Scott Hildreth student lecture Fall 2009

Amy Lynn* has been married to her husband for 15 years.  He graduated last May from SEBTS with an MDIV in International Church Planting.  They are currently serving in the Middle East.  They have 4 children, ages 13, 11, 5 and 2.  Amy Lynn enjoys reading, writing and working out when she is not studying Arabic or visiting friends. 
*Name has been changed to ensure protection for our contributor. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.