Lessons from the Field (5 & 6)


Lessons from the Field is a series from one of our own who is serving overseas.  Please join us as we learn about what God has taught and continues to teach her as she and her family serve. To view the earlier post from Amy Lynn* click here.

5.  A New Worship – Only God deserves the pedestal!
            The inevitable will happen, the moment when the person you have come to value, appreciate, and revere, screws up and comes crashing down off the pedestal.  This scenario has happened to me more times than I wish to count because what it means at the deeper heart level, is that I have mistakenly put man in a place that belongs only to God.  It was easy to look at different leaders and be wowed by their extensive experience, longevity and biblical knowledge.  Before I knew it, these leaders had inched their way up the pedestal in my mind, replacing the spot rightfully owned by the King of kings and Lord of lords.  No one is perfect however, and sooner or later someone does something that royally ticks you off or says something without discernment.  When the revere of a person becomes more important than worshipping God, idolatry rears its ugly head, plain and simple.   Of course I should learn from others, trust their knowledge and respect their authority, but this can never be replaced by venerating them.  God is the only one who deserves the pedestal. 
            It could be something different than a person like it was for me, such as worshipping my ability to work hard.  When lack of recognition came, it was easy to make an idol out of my ability to get the job done no matter what the cost or problem.  But what I soon discovered was that rather than working unto the Lord, I worked hard to please myself and feel some sense of accomplishment.  My own abilities had a way of teasing and tempting me to worship something else.  No one recognizes over achievement the way you think they will, so I had to learn to keep my eyes focused on pleasing the Father.  I had to learn to distinguish between what was important to finish and work that was extra, simply to try and make myself look good.  He alone is the reason I work hard.  He is the only one I honor when I don’t waste time and are prepared.
            It is easy to fill your day with time wasters.  There is never a shortage of crises on the field.  Learning to triage these problems adequately brings glory and honor to God, because rather than waste time chasing a bunch of rabbits, I am able to focus on the most important task that He would have me complete in that moment.  When God is on the pedestal of my life, His guiding hand is always reaching out to direct my steps and order my life.  God is not one of chaos but of order.  He does not confuse us but makes all things clear.  When my focus changed from fulfilling my list and turned to worship and how best to please Him, the time wasters were reduced to insignificant distractions.  

6.  A Better Plan – His!
            The fact that distractions will come is very important, because what I have seen in my life, is that my mind is continually wandering away from God’s list for my day and becoming boggled down with these things.  Time is relative.  We work on His timetable and on His schedule.  Just because I want to accomplish some task for the day, does not mean that this is God’s will or plan for me.  One way I am learning to combat these distractions is to prayerfully order my day according to what I am hearing from the Lord when I am not distracted.  This means, waking early, sitting quietly and listening.  Once my list is made, I have a plan but God’s is always bigger.  If something comes along that day that I know should be accomplished in priority to my list, I can peacefully complete the work and know that God is the one in superseding the plans. 
            Actively listening to the Father is also the way I know when to speak and how to speak into the lives of my friends.  Many times in the past what I wanted was for people to listen because I had something compelling and convincing to say.  What is better is that God is the one doing the talking.  I do not have anything new to say really when it comes to sharing.  It is God’s word that is new and life changing.  Speaking with Muslims can often times be discouraging and disappointing when you try to make a point and they disagree or they use the same argument.  If I am listening with my ears only, I am tempted to fight back which produces no results and no heart change.  Rather, quieting my mouth and mind, actively listening to the deeper meaning behind their words and focusing on what the Spirit is doing, produces an ability to speak into someone’s life with truth and wisdom.  I had to learn this lesson the hard way but in the end it is always better to crucify my way and just do it His. 
            Among the more difficult lessons I have learned the last year and a half is how to do it all and not lose my mind.  You may be thinking that either I am super woman and I assure you I am far from it, or that this is an impossible task.  But as a wise author once stated, “We can accomplish everything that God has ordained for us to do in this life…and it’s probably not half of what’s on your to-do list.”  Next week, I will look at A Tight Rope Life – How to do it all, Family, Language and Ministry.  See you then!

Amy Lynn* has been married to her husband for 15 years.  He graduated last May from SEBTS with an MDIV in International Church Planting.  They are currently serving in the Middle East.  They have 4 children, ages 13, 11, 5 and 2.  Amy Lynn enjoys reading, writing and working out when she is not studying Arabic or visiting friends. 
*Name has been changed to ensure protection for our contributor. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.