{Insider Info} What's your degree program, Melissa?

About Me
My name is Melissa Garcia, and I am in my fourth semester at Southeastern.  I am working full time for Hope Services as an Intensive-in-home therapist while I pursue an MA in the Philosophy of Religion.  I attend First Baptist Church of Durham and look forward to graduating soon.

“What made you choose this degree?”
Initially, I was in the apologetics degree program, but after my first year at SEBTS, I switched over to the Master of Arts in the Philosophy of Religion program.  This is a fairly new program, and I am one of the first to enter.  I may even be the first female?!  

Because of the range of questions that people have asked me about Christianity while sharing the gospel with them, I have always been fascinated by apologetics.  While serving as a journeyman, that fascination was intensified.  For that reason, I started the apologetics program, but during my first year I realized that my philosophical and theological questions were not being answered to my satisfaction.  

When I first heard about Philosophy of Religion, I originally thought that it would be too daunting of a task to study without any background in philosophy.  However, after learning more about the requirements of the degree program from Dr. Little, I was encouraged to pursue the degree, since it was aimed toward providing the answers to precisely the questions that captivated me.

“How do you want to use this degree when you finish?”
To be quite honest, I have not decided if I will pursue a PhD in Philosophy of Religion or not, but I wholeheartedly believe that I will use what I have learned from this degree for the rest of my life.  This degree program has helped me learn how to think more clearly and how to provide a better defense for the Gospel.

“How have some of the courses that you have taken benefited you already?”
When people first learn that I study philosophy, they give me the most grievous looks!  And then they proceed to provide a defense for exactly why they would and could never study philosophy.  So, like any good philosophy student, I take that time to show them their logical fallacies.  (Kidding!)  I do, however, tell them why I chose to study philosophy!  

Although philosophical arguments may seem abstract to most people, the truth is that once you follow philosophical views out to their logical conclusions, there truly are real life applications.  I think that we don’t often realize how philosophical issues permeate all aspects of our lives.  Additionally, the responses I am able to supply to people who try to undermine my beliefs shows just how philosophy has already benefited me! 

“Is there any advice you would give to students who are thinking of pursing this degree?”
I would urge them to make a game plan when they first enter the program.  It is easy to overlook a class that is being offered and then have to wait another year before it is offered again.  Also, do not be afraid to contact your major professor; he is there to help you.  Oh, and we need more girls in this program!  

If nothing else, I recommend that everyone take Critical Thinking and Argumentation as well as Philosophical Theology!  Those have been two of my favorite classes and possibly the ones that have equipped me the most for the sake of the kingdom.

1 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.