{Insider Info} What's your degree program, Hilary?



Hi ladies!  My name is Hilary, 
and I am pursuing a Master of Divinity in Women’s Studies.
To be totally honest, this wasn’t my first degree choice.  Or I should say . . . it wasn’t the program I applied to Southeastern to pursue!  But, God has searched me and He knows me {Psalm 139} and He so graciously guided me to it. 

I originally applied to the 2+2 program with the intention of ministering to women overseas.  After a series of prayerful decisions, I switched my degree to Women’s Studies and have been so blessed!  God has confirmed my decision over & over again by revealing the {core} of what He has called me to do – minister to women, all over the map. 

I'm not your traditional M. Div student. In fact, I'm a {distance learning} student, which basically means . . . 
·       *  I am full-time at Southeastern
·       *  I take classes on campus
·       *  I live in Charlotte, NC
·       *  I work at a local church in Charlotte

So you may be wondering, how does that work??!  (classes on campus + not living in Wake Forest = doesn’t add up). Well, that’s a great question! 

It does complicate things a bit.  And it has been tough sometimes to arrange my schedule to take the classes that I need for my program during the short window I have to be present on campus.  But it’s worked for two years already (this is my 3rd fall on campus) & I’m slowly checking off core requirements.  It’s also helpful motivation to carpool to campus weekly with other students, including my hubby. J 

I chose the Master of Divinity in Women’s Studies (rather than an MA) because I truly wanted to learn the original languages // Hebrew & Greek.  Those tidbits of Hebrew in various Beth Moore studies over the years gave me the desire to know it for myself.  I, too, wanted to be equipped to dig into and study the languages of the Old & New Testaments.

As you may have guessed from my carpool hint, my husband is also a full-time student at Southeastern.  He is pursuing a Master of Divinity in Christian Ministries. 

At this time in our lives, we are {expectantly} waiting upon the Lord for next steps.  My husband is currently serving as a pastoral intern in the young adult ministry at our church.  At the same time, we have also begun the application process with the International Mission Board. 

Thankfully God knows the plans He has for us.  Wherever we land {geographically}, I’m so grateful for the equipping, the encouragement, and the education I have received through the Women’s Studies program at SEBTS. 

The program, actually (more importantly) the ladies behind the program {like Denise O'Donoghue} have taught me how to better minister to women in a variety of settings and in a variety of locations: from the formal speaking engagement to the informal counseling session {over tea & cookies} at the kitchen table.

And for that them, I’m grateful..  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.