What's the Big Deal About Easter? {Part Two}





Today we hear from the Whitfield's on Part Two of our What's the Big Deal About Easter? series for this month. To see {Part One} of the series click here.  Read below to hear more about Considering Christ’s Atonement for Our Sins.



“For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. (1 Peter 2:21-24)

Jesus on Cross 5




When is the last time you considered that Jesus suffered for you?








Let's Hear From Keith:

I think we are inclined to think about Jesus dying for sins and for the world, which are 100% right, but we can miss the personal significance sometimes if all we do is relate his death to sins and redeeming all people, everywhere. Peter does not allow us to do that in 1 Peter 2:21. He says Christ suffers for you.

The term used for "suffered" in a general term that basically means "to experience something." Nearly always, however, in the New Testament, it is used in the unfavorable and specific sense of suffering death. When we consider that the perfect son of God, the King of kings suffered for us, it provokes a question (at least for me): What did his suffering consist of? What did he experience for me?

Well, his suffering is described for us the Gospel narratives, and Peter summarizes it for us in 1 Peter 2. What we discover is Jesus experienced physical and spiritual suffering. He suffered at the hands of barbarous captors, and experienced the physical brutality of crucifixion. But He suffered spiritually, too. Verse 24 says, "he bore our sins in his body on the tree." That came with being cursed (Dt. 21:23; Gal. 3:13).

In the face of the physical pain, public insult, and spiritual affliction, Peter says that even while suffering, “He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth.” (v. 22; quoting Isaiah 53:9) This is quite astounding. Jesus had not committed a crime worthy of a cruel death, and for that matter, He committed no sin at all.
As we addressed last week, if we don't acknowledge Jesus' sinlessness, we miss one of the central truths of the Christian faith—that Jesus became a man, that He was subject to temptation, but that He never sinned. He always did what the Father wanted Him to (John 5:19). Jesus' own obedience could not be expressed in a more faith-inspiring way than the way Peter says. He says, in the midst suffering, Jesus “continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.”
The key reason for understanding that Jesus was sinless is that a sinful man cannot offer himself as a sacrifice before a holy God on behalf of another sinful person. But, Jesus, who was tempted and tried, and yet sinless, could intervene. He can bring us to God (1 Pet. 3:18; Tim. 2:5).
Consider what it must have been like for Jesus to take our sins upon himself. Remember, what these sins do and have done to us. Sin wages full assault against our souls (2:11). We are held under bondage to it. Sin corrupts our minds, tossing us to and fro (Eph. 3:17-19, 14). Sin obscures our understanding of reality (Rom. 1:21). Sin leads to futile and purposeless life (1 Pet. 1:18). Our sins have damaged relationships, and lead us to chasing time-wasting passion (Tit. 3:8). In sin, we live under the reign and rule of death and God’s condemnation (Rom. 5:12-21, Heb. 2:14). We sin because we ignore God and fail to worship Him. Our sins have twisted our lives. He suffered for all of those things, and suffered them.
Now we come to purpose Jesus’ sacrificial death:
Jesus, the sinless One, bore our sins in His body. Theological term alert. . . the big term for this is "Penal Substitutionary Atonement." That big idea refers the fact that Jesus stood in our place (Substitution) and took the penalty (Penal) for our sins (Atonement).
Jesus did this for our good. Peter explains it in clear terms:
"He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed." (2:24)
This point is easy to miss. Jesus died, yes, to provide forgiveness for sins and grant eternal life. BUT, He wants to do more, and His death accomplishes even more. He died to remove our sins from us and to make us righteous.
For Peter, bearing the cross isn't just for Jesus. It is for us, too. Remember, verse 21, “for to this you have been called [namely, to follow Jesus].” This is what Peter heard his Master teach time and time again:
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." (Luke 9:23-24)
Jesus took up His cross and died in order to give life. For us, taking up our cross consists of dying to our old selfish, sinful way of life and then following Jesus wherever He leads us, in Peter's words -- "that we might die to sins and live to righteousness" (2:24).

Let's Hear From Amy:

The first time I ever heard the term “substitutionary atonement,” I knew I was in over my head. This was something that the smart, theologian types talked about and they were way out of my league. I would smile and nod, act like I was getting it, and keep moving with the conversation.

It’s easy for terms to intimidate us, but the idea was never meant to do that. The idea was meant to free us. He took everything I deserved onto Himself, and I stand completely clean. That doesn’t intimidate me intellectually. That overwhelms me emotionally.

For me, this is a concept that at one time was only considered during times of worship. Now, to be sure, considering it at these times is the good and appropriate. When I am in corporate worship, hearing the preaching of the Word or singing praises to Him, that is absolutely the thing that I would want to focus on. When I am in private reflection or prayer, the atonement is my reason to approach Him and the focus of my gratitude. The great sacrifice that He made for me is the reason for my worship.

But how does this atonement matter in my daily life, when I am “going and doing”? My tendency can sometimes be to worship him with my thoughts toward what He has done for me, but then to let my actions come from what I think I can do for Him. And every time I have gone down that road, it has led to discouragement. I run out of steam on my to-do list. I buckle under the pressures of daily struggle. I am no match for suffering when it comes my way. And then I don’t know where to turn.

But that’s the point of the atonement, and why I needed it. There is nothing I can do for Him. And Paul said something in his letter to the Romans which brings me back, every time, and points me to the cross: “Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

Everything that happens to me can’t be for my bad. It has to be for my good. And He isn’t looking at me wondering, “What great thing will you do for Me?” He is telling me, “This is what I have done for you. Now you are free.” He isn’t waiting for me to become perfect by myself. I can die to sin and live to righteousness because He stood in my place.

This doesn’t mean that life doesn’t bring challenges. It does, however, mean that I can live through them knowing that the weight of sin will not kill me. He stood in my place and took care of my greatest need, so I am free to no longer worry about myself, and to pick up my cross and follow Him without fear or anxiety.

Yes, when I hear the term “substitutionary atonement,” I still feel like I am in over my head. Because I am. And that’s where I want to stay—hidden in Him, completely covered by what He has done for me.


Keith & Amy Whitfield live in Wake Forest, NC, where Keith teaches Systematic Theology at SEBTS.  Keith previously served as pastor of Waverly Baptist Church in Waverly, Virginia, in the years 2005 to 2010, and from 2010 until 2012, they lived in Nashville, TN, where Keith taught at a liberal arts college and helped to train church leaders. Amy loves teaching and writing, and has a passion for women to be transformed by the gospel in their daily lives.  Amy currently serves as Assistant to Charlotte Akin,  and also assists in other areas with research and writing.  Amy and Keith have two children: Mary (age 9) and Drew (age 7).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.