Balance - Penny Keathley


Today on the blog is a guest post from our own Mrs. Penny Keathley.  As we head into Spring, many of us think of the cleaning, vacations and general busyness ahead of us this year.  As we strive to serve the Lord well, her words of wisdom are quite timely.


Balance - a much undervalued word. 
Balance is a much undervalued word -- and yet, balance is fundamental to a life in harmony with God, with others and with our world.  In fact, God seems to have created our world and everything in it to function best in balance.  A few examples come to mind:

Sun and Rain - all sun and our gardens burn; all rain and they rot.

Work and Rest - all work and we burn out; all rest and we are simply lazy.

Tradition and Innovation - all tradition becomes a rut; all innovation lacks the wisdom of experience.
picture from http://www.sxc.hu/photo/264116

As someone who enjoys cooking and considers myself a bit of a "foodie", it comes to mind that God has given us food to nourish and enjoy - but to eat either excessively or negligently will harm ourselves.  Bananas may be a nutritious fruit - but if one ONLY eats bananas, sickness will result. Our bodies function best on a balance of fruits, vegetables, protein and (dare I say it?) carbohydrates.  (Unless, of course, you have a medical condition that requires otherwise.)   

This week I read a devotion by Brennan Manning regarding Jesus' example of humble servant-hood.  He said,

"When being is divorced from doing, pious thoughts become an adequate substitute for washing [others] feet." 

I completely agree.  But as a girl who grew up in an "independent, fundamental, Bible believing (and often legalistic) Baptist church", I observed what it means to emphasize one biblical truth in excess to the detriment of the balancing side of that spiritual coin.  So my first thought after reading that devotion was, "yes, but

when doing is divorced from being, our works become an adequate substitute for sitting at the feet of Jesus." 

My husband authored a book entitled "Salvation and Sovereignty".  In it he discusses the importance of balancing the dual truths taught in Scripture - God's sovereignty and human free will.  To emphasize one truth to the exclusion of the other is a recipe for spiritual error. 

Is it just me, or does it appear that God created us to be at our most healthy in mind, body and spirit when we walk this life in balance?



I married Ken Keathley on May 31, 1980 and have two grown children. Ken and I are both from southeast Missouri.  I am a PK (preacher’s kid) and a PW (preacher/professor wife).  We came to SEBTS in 1994 for Ken to get his M.Div. and Ph.D.; sold our house and possessions and came here when our kids were 6 and 8. In December 2010 I left work to give more time to duties at home as grandmother and as wife of the Sr VP of Academics at SEBTS.  I believe God has gifted me in the areas of administration, hospitality and helps - and I get great satisfaction from using those gifts at home, at church and at SEBTS. I am a country girl at heart and enjoy working in my yard, gardening – both vegetable and flower, a walk in the woods, a swim in the creek, and a cup of tea or coffee on the front porch with good conversation.  Throw in some piano or guitar playing and hymn singing and I’m in heaven (well, almost)! I enjoy cooking for family and friends and am always trying new recipes (I have a unquenchable sweet tooth); shopping at flea markets and consignment stores; reading and watching movies – old and new; and traveling with my husband.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.