Prodigal God

Our Small Group at church is going through a wonderful study this summer.  Lee and I were able to go through Gospel in Life by Tim Keller the first summer we were here in NC, and we are studying it again because it is so good.  I have the same book that I used that summer (it is a miracle that I haven't lost it) and it has been so neat to see what my answers and thoughts were to the questions back then and what they are now.  To say that they are different would be an understatement.  This study takes you through living the Gospel in your every day life, from your heart, in your community and ultimately in the world.  It is pretty much rocking my heart and convicting the mess out of me.

Adoration of the Golden Calf - Click Image to Close This week we have been studying idolatry.  Growing up, idolatry was not really something that I understood.  I knew the Old Testament stories of idolatry and knew that I wasn't supposed to build up a golden calf or worship gods like different religions did.  But honestly, that was about as far as I understood.  It wasn't until college that I realized that I committed idolatry daily.  I never knew that idols could be everyday things such as anxiety, control, and approval.  (All things that I struggle with.)  Once I was confronted with this sin, I was blown away with how dirty and messed up my heart was. 






One summer in college, I went on a backpacking trip in Europe that really put my idols out in front of me.  On this trip I spent four weeks with four other people.  The trip was meant to help us learn to live out the Gospel in community with others and share the Gospel along to way as we traveled and learned about different cultures.  It was one of the hardest and best summers so far in my life.  Not only was I engaged to Lee, but I was learning that I had a lot of idols.  When you spend lots of time with the same few people, they see you for who you really are - good and bad.  Even though that is not always fun, it is so good at the same time.  On that trip, I read The Prodigal God by Tim Keller, and my mind was blown.  All my life I had been reading the parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32) incorrectly.  I am definitely the elder brother in every aspect.  I like rules, morality, and rewards.  Rules are easy for me. 

In the Gospel in Life study, Tim Keller touches on the parable again.  He asks the question below in the study.

What emotions and attitudes does the elder brother display? 

In my notes I wrote pridefulness, moralism, dependence on self....after writing these words all I could think was, "That is me.  I am prideful, moralistic, and I depend on myself for most things.  Goodness gracious, I am messed up."  BUT, there is still hope (thank goodness).

Keller points out something in this parable that is going to blow your mind.  Jesus is the True elder brother.  The elder brother in the story should have been happy and rejoiced that his little brother was back, but he wasn't.  He was angry and jealous because he had done everything he was supposed to do (but his heart was never in the right place).   With Jesus as our true elder brother, we can know and trust that he rejoices with us in our repentance and even gives us his own inheritance freely.

For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.  And they began to celebrate. Luke 15:24

I'm telling you,  if you are looking for a new study to work through, Gospel in Life is a great one, and The Prodigal God is a short but amazing read.

I will leave you with a worthy quote by Tim Keller.

You will only be "under grace" and free from the controlling effects of idols to the degree that you have both 1. repented of your idols and 2. rested and rejoiced in the saving work and love of Christ instead. 



Laura is married to L, and the two have lived in Wake Forest for two years.  L is pursuing a MDiv in ICP. They have a one daughter, HG, who definitely keeps them on their toes and brings so much joy to their lives every day.  Laura and her family attend The Summit , North Raleigh and lead a small group.  Laura works in the Women's Life Office, and is a part of the Connecting Point Team here at SEBTS. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.