A Personal Story from Lindsey Amick


Today I am sharing a personal story.  A journey of faith, hurt, and confusion. To understand this journey you have to know a few things about me. First, I am a perfectionist to the core. I feel the need to do everything above and beyond and to the best of my ability. I see doing things with excellence as a virtue. The problem for me is my view of perfection is unattainable and becomes a crippling force in my life. Second, I have the inability to say “no.” I love people, and I love serving people and although I serve with the best of intentions I can quickly become the “Yes person” in everyone’s life. I stretch myself thin and strive to be perfect in all these areas. All this leads to a tired and stressed out girl, but this pace of life has been a main stay in my life for as long as I remember. I don’t rest well. I don’t relax well. I don’t have any hobbies. 

I don’t give that introduction to say poor me, I give it so you can know where I am coming from when I say this year the Lord turned my life upside down in a way I never expected or was prepared for. After months of being physically sick from different illnesses my body, mind, and spirit had reached its threshold. I had pushed myself past the brink of return.

2012 was welcomed in by a girl who no longer had it all together, put on the smile, and said yes to everyone. Instead New Years Day gave way to a frightened woman who was timid in her choices and hesitated to leave the comforts of her own home. A woman who before had craved social interaction now became anxious in large crowds. A woman who before loved fine dining like she was a food critic now had a panic attack at the moment she entered a restaurant. 

It is hard to explain when anxiety takes control in your life. For me, it came on like a strong wind out of the stillest night. Without warning and without invitation my thoughts and emotions became overtaken by the strong hand of fear and panic. There were days that were so dark it took my breath away. After stumbling for weeks to even find my footing I sought help from doctors, counselors, and friends. That first step towards asking for help was so scary. I had convinced myself that these feeling I was having were wrong and that I was the only person who had this problem. The shame was an inherent response.

Please hear me dear friend, if I had not taken that first step out of shame I would still be wallowing in it. That was the hardest first step but it was also the most beneficial. Through months of tearing down the walls of misconception in my own heart I found power in sharing my burdens and in the amazing help that was given to me. The Lord provided in abundance of people who loved me in my darkness but didn’t allow me to stay there.  I am grateful for those individuals who spoke truth into my despair. And although the anxiety is not gone, I am able to carry it with me instead of being crushed under its power. 

A passage of scripture that was so comforting to me during this time was Romans 4:18-25 where Abraham’s faith is being described. It says:

In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, "SO SHALL YOUR DESCENDANTS BE."  Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb;  yet, with respect to the promised of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able to perform.  Therefore IT WAS ALSO CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.  Now not for his sake only was it written that it was credited to him, but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, He who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification.

I felt like Abraham, hoping against hope. Here my body was going against me and creating turmoil like it had a life of its own. It was hard to believe the promises of God when everything I was feeling and experiencing seemed contradictory. But then that phrase rang true in my heart “being fully assured that what God has promised, He was able also to perform.” Thank you Lord that when hope seems hopeless you are able to perform what you have promised. This verse gave me the strength to start clinging to the promises of God from His Word and believing that they could be so; not by my own might but by Him who is in me. 








I write this to share my story. I write this to give the ultimate Comforter praise and glory. I write this to tell you dear sister that you are not alone and you are not crazy. I write this to break the silence in the Christian community. I write this to dispel the shame. I write this to open a dialogue. I write this to tell you there is hope. 

The Lord has opened my eyes and my heart in these last few months to His grace that is sufficient for every day and to a better understanding of submitting to His will in His timing. I am not anxiety free, and I may never be, but I am learning to pray… God EVEN IF You chose to never remove this thorn in my flesh, my heart will still praise you and my hands and feet will still serve you. 

What about you friend? Are you living in a darkness that takes your breath away?

Look up. Reach out. Believe God. Don’t walk this darkness alone.

 Lindsey Amick is a youth pastor’s wife and a staff member of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. Originally from South Carolina she loves all things southern. Lindsey has a heart for teenagers and ministering to families. In her spare time she tries to be a crafty and energetic housewife, however in ministry spare time is an anomaly. She is learning right now the art of being still, trusting, and enjoying the joy of the journey. You can follow her blog momentsofzoe-lou.blogspot.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.