Full Disclosure from Stephanie Mills


Making lists makes me happy.  I find sorting Legos and matchbox cars somewhat…therapeutic.  Droid apps that track progress toward goals = bliss.  

The. Container. Store.  Enough said.
 

Strange, I know. But I do love organization.              

So, about this week of the year, you’d think I’d have compiled a list of New Year’s resolutions. Not so much.  For people like me, abundant life includes embracing flexibility.   And knowing when to stop. And  to sit at His feet. 
Jesus.  He has lovingly, patiently saved me from living a Martha life of a thousand resolutions. 



And I’ve found I love to sit at His feet even more than I love…doing.               


Resolutions are good. Certainly, focus isn’t bad. “Direction, not intention, determines destination” (Andy Stanley). Agreed.  Really.  But a long time ago, I realized God wired my brain this administrative-spiritual-gift way to glorify Him and not so I could control my world.   


So, I’ve created my own tradition for that the week between Christmas and New Year’s…which is probably as crazy busy at my house as it is at yours. 


I’ve become intentional about stopping, and reflecting on Jesus. I meditate on His glory.  I marvel at His mercy.  I am amazed by His grace.  And I beg for His wisdom.    


I ask Him for a heart that clings to His Word this year…as though I can’t take my next breath without its wisdom. Because I can’t and have anything worth exhaling into a needy world around me.                 


I plead for a hunger…a ravenous hunger…for prayer.    


I ask Him to open my eyes to the spiritual battle raging in the heavenlies. Over my husband. Over my children. If I don’t pray for them with passion – who will?!? The thought shakes me to my core. I ask Him for a passion to pray for His glory through His church for generations to come.                           

I implore Him for compassion to see people through His eyes


Made in His image. Valuable. Precious. Redeemable. Compassion, especially as a pastor’s wife, that never forgets how completely and miserably and hopelessly lost I’d be without Him…so I’m never tempted to give up on others.          

My husband often reminds our congregation of what Dr. Ronnie Floyd says, “God can do more in a moment than I can do in a lifetime.” Truth worth pondering in the New Year.                          
                     
Finding time to linger with Jesus. Making the time, rather than the excuses. 
Relationship rather than resolution.  No, it’s not easy. And, no, it didn’t come naturally. But it has made all the difference.   


Stephanie Mills loves being married to Richard. And mornings that start with a mug of coffee & an open Bible.  And, now that the kids are grown, exploring the world…often in hiking boots with a tent. Richard planted Faith Baptist in Youngsville, and it was amazing to raise PKs in a place where the whole family got to join God at work and see lives changed. She thinks it just doesn’t get any better than that! 



1 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.