Reading and Culture {Hunger Games}


We have been talking a lot about reading in our posts this new year. Today's guest post from Hilary Ratchford reminds us that we can engage even better with those we minister to if we engage culture with a discerning eye. 

SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU PLAN TO READ ALL THREE OF THE HUNGER GAMES BOOKS OR SEE ALL FOUR MOVIES, THIS POST DOES CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS FROM THE END OF THE LAST BOOK!

Read Recently? Hunger Games

After seeing the second movie in the Hunger Games trilogy, “Catching Fire,” in early December, a girlfriend of mine finally convinced me to read the series. I admit, I was hesitant because:

1) I was skeptical about the plotline – kids killing kids?!
2) I was hoping for a break from reading – after all, I had just finished the fall semester!
3) I was honestly a little concerned about what people would think of me… Wasn’t this book labeled “Juvenile” Fiction (a.k.a. for teens)? Would I just be trying to jump in on the latest fad {a little late}??

But I have to tell you… I really enjoyed reading the series. So much so, that I read them quickly.
Like the whole series in less than a week!  [I think I was still functioning in the efficiency of “school mode”].

Not only was it a much needed dose of fiction and imagination, I finally understood why it appealed to so many people. Women, particularly.

At the heart of ministry is people. And for me, specifically, my ministry is women. I desired to know why  old roommates, missionary friends, college girls that I’ve had the privilege to journey alongside, and even my older sister were so enthralled with the series.

So, to enjoy a little respite from non-fiction and for the sake of just no-longer-being-naive-to-what-is-infiltrating-our-women-though-culture, I dove in.

I realized that…

* Everyone loves a good heroine.
* Women want to feel valued.
* And every heroine {or just regular gal} wants to be pursued and protected.  Right?

Yet {one theme} stood out in particular – both to me, and to the ladies with whom I discussed the series.

After reading the books, we could not help but be touched by the {steadfastness} of Peeta, the protagonist’s (Katniss) tribute partner - turned friend - turned love interest - turned spouse.

Peeta’s {loyalty} to Katniss, his willingness to sacrifice himself for her, to protect her, to continue loving her even when her affections are directed elsewhere… all of this makes us want to root for Peeta, right?

Even those that do not know the Faithful One are naturally inclined to pull for the one who is constant in character.

Don’t you see? That desire was written on our heart-strings long before the Games ever began...

****************
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 [ESV]
****************
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” James 1:17 [ESV]
****************
“But the Lord is faithful… May the Lord direct your hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 3:3,5 [ESV]
****************

We yearn for {faithfulness} and {constancy} because we, indeed, are inconstant.

How often have you given up on a commitment? Betrayed a friend’s trust? Sought your own good before that of someone else?

So my recommendation? The next time you pick up a ((fiction)) novel, read it with a discerning eye. 

Enjoy the creativity that God has gifted the author with, but at the same time, recognize the Author of creativity. It all points back to Him.

* If your emotions resonate with a character or if you’re “pulling” for a certain outcome, why?
* Is it because a character trait leads you to a deeper awe & appreciation for the Person of Christ?
* Is it because evil is defeated, victory is won, and good is restored?
* Is it because there is reconciliation in the narrative?

Ponder these questions, and others that you come up with, and then point the story line back to the Gospel.  After all, each story shadows the greatest Story ever told:

A {faithful} God pursued mankind by sending His {selfless} Son, Jesus Christ, to sacrifice His life to bring reconciliation, to conquer evil, and to restore a perfect kingdom. And the Story doesn’t end there…


****************
As Job said in Job 19:25-27 –
“I know that My Redeemer lives, and that in the end He will
stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God;
I myself will see Him with my own eyes – I, and not another.
How my heart yearns within me!”
****************

Don’t be afraid, like I initially was, to read something that is outside of the traditional Christian recommended reading. 

Please hear me, I’m not telling you to be conformed to the pattern of this world – we must be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2). Yet, know the people at the heart of your ministry. They are in the world, and we must reach them with the Gospel . . .  With the Story that has been written on the tablets of human hearts.

****************
As Christ prayed for His disciples in John 17:15-18 –
“My prayer is not that You take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by Your Truth, Your Word is Truth. As You sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world…”
****************

Connect their natural inclination to root for the {faithful, devoted, constant} Peeta in the Hunger Games trilogy to their desire to be pursued & intimately known by the Faithful, Devoted, Constant One. 


Because His Story never ends.



Hilary is a full-time student at SEBTS pursuing a Master of Divinity in Women's Studies. She and her husband, Thomas - also an M. Div student – live in Charlotte, NC. She works part-time as a ministry assistant at Carmel Baptist Church, where she & her husband worship and serve in the young adult ministry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.