{Insider Info} What's your degree program?

About Me
Hi there, my name is Adrianne. I am a Southern California girl transplanted by the Father to the desert of Central Asia and then to the extreme green of North Carolina where a Florida boy who had lived in South Asia decided I should marry him, and I whole heartedly agreed!  Though I have finished the classes for an MA in Christian School Administration, I have yet to write my thesis and graduate. I have taught in public school, Christian school and a homeschool co-op for third culture kids, and I have seen how every child and every family in every place needs the grace and forgiveness of our Savior. My husband is 4 classes away from his MDiv, and our goal after graduation is to be used as God's tools among the nations once again.
What is your degree program?

I am currently pursuing an MA in Christian School Administration.  Most people in this degree program plan to be Principals or Headmasters at Christian schools in the United States.  Many are already teaching or in leadership at a school.  The purpose of the program is to develop skilled Christian school leaders who will put Christ first in their own lives as well as in relation to the faculty, staff, students and parents they will minister to. 

The classes are usually small, which leads to a sort of family feeling.  They often take place during a few weekend sessions or over the summers because so many of the participants are already working full time in schools.  The assignments are very practical and applicable to the job of leading a school.

Dr. Coley is the main professor for most of the CSA courses.  He has a wealth of experience; he has taught and led Christian schools for many years, raised his own children, consulted with Christian school leaders, written books on the subject, and led conferences in various locations.  He is very approachable and cares deeply for his students.  His vision is to see godly, passionate, well trained leaders in Christian schools who are able to handle all of the pressures and intricacies of school headship.

Why did you choose this degree?

My pursuit of this degree is a little different than most and is a bit of a long story . . .
I have a strong and deep passion to see the Good News go out among the nations. I long to one day stand before the throne of God with people from every nation, tribe, and tongue, singing praises to the Father in a joyful jumble of music and voices.  However, I'm fairly introverted, and my skill set is better suited for behind-the-scenes work than the main stage.  I laugh daily at how the Father took this bookworm and showed her how He wanted her to serve Him in unexpected ways.

My undergraduate degree is in Child and Adolescent Development and Teaching.  I taught public elementary school in Los Angeles County for 4 years before God led me to move overseas for 3 years to teach.  I also helped start a homeschool co-op for the children of North American Christian workers living there.  During this time, I learned that the need for trained educators to help overseas families is often overlooked (though the need for Christian teachers in America's public schools is fairly obvious).  One major issue that contributes to families leaving the field is education for their kids.  Many factors play into a family’s decision to stay or leave the field.  Some cannot be helped, but others could be solved with a bit of help and support.
My goal and vision as I pursue this degree is to help overseas families in the realm of education for their children.  In doing this, I can help them to stay in the places they have been called to.  They already have the language skills and relationships into which they can share the Good News; my part in seeing the nations reached is to support the families doing the reaching!

While I was living overseas and trying to decide what to do when my 3 year term ended, I came across Ecclesiastes 10:10: 

“If the ax is dull and its edge unsharpened, more strength is needed, but skill will bring success.”  

I instantly understood this to mean that, though I had been doing the job that the Father had called me to with some skill, with more training I could be much more useful to these families.

I am still not sure what exactly God would like me to do with this training.  I would love to teach Third Culture Kids again, or help others set up homeschool co-ops like the one I taught in, or to be a voice on Skype to encourage and strengthen the teachers and parents in the skills needed to teach, or to offer ideas for how to deal with specific educational issues, or help educators choose the curriculum that will best prepare their children for life and godliness.  I am excited to see how God will use the training I have received in the CSA program!
What are some of your favorite courses?

From the core classes: All of the courses were good.  The Old and New Testament courses give a deeper understanding of the Bible.  The theology classes make you think about what you believe in ways you likely haven't before.  Ethics makes you apply those beliefs to situations in real life.   

From the CSA classes: All of Dr. Coley's classes are useful and practical.  My favorites were Philosophy of Christian Education, Curriculum Design, and both of the courses that deal with supervising and administrating.  These are really the bones of the educator’s job, and getting your mind and heart wrapped around the concepts presented in these classes is essential to doing it well.

Do you have any additional tips that you would like to share with anyone considering pursuing a degree in Christian School Administration?

1) Make your relationship with God your priority.  Seminary life can suck you dry if you let it. Take daily time away with Him.  Get (and stay) deeply connected to a local church.  Intentionally form a couple of close friendships with people who will love you well and call you out when you need it.  All of this will help you to walk away with stronger faith and calling rather than as a former servant with a lot of head knowledge.


2) There are not any biblical counseling classes as part of the degree.  My tip is: take one anyway.  I took Counseling Parents and Children because Christian school teachers and administrators do quite a lot of this as a normal part of their job.  The course was very insightful and helpful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.