Doing the Next Thing



 
It is officially SPRING and I’m so excited! It’s time for trips to the beach, picnics in the park and being able to wear skirts without getting goose bumps on my legs. It’s DEFINITELY time to go driving with the windows down and the music up. I have a few “go-to” songs that I enjoy during this time. One of them is by the band Vega4. It’s called, “Life is beautiful.” Here are some of the lyrics:

Life is beautiful. But it’s complicated, we barely make it. We don’t need to understand, there are miracles, miracles. Yeah, life is beautiful. Our hearts, they beat and break.

I wouldn’t exactly “wrap my biblical doctrine or theology” around these verses, but I think there are some interesting truths here. They are right; life is both beautiful and complicated. Sometimes it is beautiful, sometimes it is messy and SOMETIMES it’s beautifully messy. And just like the author of Ecclesiastes points out, there is a season for everything. (Read Ecclesiastes 3:1-18, it’s amazing!) 

Life is full of diverse moments. There are moments of birth and moments of death. Some moments are for weeping and some are for laughing. Some are for mourning and some are for dancing. Life is also not just about the “big moments” (wedding, babies, new jobs, moves, graduation, etc). It is full of little moments of responsibility and routine that impact our day-to-day life. How can we honor God in these moments? I’ve been thinking lately about how difficult those little moments can be in the wake of the bigger ones. In the midst of stress or strife, sometimes as we plan something really good (exciting new adventures, marriage, children, etc.), those little daily routines can feel extremely daunting.  These are tasks that otherwise seem easy and routine. Things like  paying bills, putting gas in your car, taking kids/loved ones to appointments, making dinner, etc.  

I’m not sure what your moments are currently full of. Perhaps a stressful boss, wedding planning, pregnancy, a big upcoming move, job applications, soccer practices … you fill in the blank! One passage that has been extremely helpful has been Matthew 6:33-34 (emphasis on 34 has been added by me). 

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:33-34)

I love that last part in verse 34, “Each day has enough trouble of its own.” It’s so simple and sensible. It’s such a sweet reminder that God has only given me enough grace to get through today. When tomorrow comes, He’ll be there waiting for me with what I need. That certainly gives me the strength to wake up and go about my day, no matter what is lying ahead or hanging above me.

Personally, this reminder has been especially helpful as graduation approaches in May. I’m excited about the possibility of going to East Asia, but there have been moments where I have been so full of anxiety that I have not been able to enjoy what God has done. I allowed my mind to be full of doubts and “what-if” worries. However, these are all things that I cannot control. I must embrace what I know to be true about God and what I have seen Him do. I cannot control tomorrow. To be honest, I can’t control today. But what I can control are my reactions and my responses. I can also trust that, while life can sometimes be overwhelming and difficult, with Him life is abundant and full of hope.

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” (John 10:10)

Elizabeth Elliot is an amazing author. She once quoted a poem that has stuck with me for a long time. The title is “Do the next thing.”

“Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing. 

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing. 

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing." 

Naturally, I would like to wish you moments of laughing, dancing and healing. But, as the author of Ecclesiastes pointed out, there are all kinds of moments in this life. However, I can always wish you moments full of hope from Christ. Praise the Lord that those moments will never end and that hope will never run dry.

Know that the LORD, He Is God!  It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with Praise!  Give thanks to Him; bless His name!  For the LORD is good; His steadfast love endures forever, and His faithfulness to all generations.  Ps. 100:3-5

 
 April Smith is from Charleston, South Carolina and will be graduating in May with her MA in Intercultural Studies. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, Clemson football, gardening, crafts and anything that has to do with the beach! Her undergraduate degree is in Special Education and she hopes to one day combine her love for the world with her love for special needs. She is currently making plans to move to East Asia with her roommate for a year and is so excited about what her Father is up to. You can check out her blog at aprilmariesmith.blogspot.com!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.