Katie Kasey Unpacks Scripture on Why We Trust God in Midst of Trials

Why is He Worthy of Trust? James 1

James 1:2-4 “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of you faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

James 1:5-6 “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and if will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.”
A recent Bible study on the book of James divided chapter one into these two passages. A week was given to each of these sets of verses. As we slow down to make detailed observations of this chapter, we must be careful to notice that these two passages are not separate from each other. They flow coherently together. 

The first passage challenged me to consider hard situations as joy and told me that it will test my faith and produce steadfastness until I am complete, lacking nothing. That sounds great and is true! But as those especially difficult situations come to our minds, it leaves us asking how these things are possible in this situation? How could I count this for joy? It seems impossible for good to come out of it and seems ridiculous to consider it joy!

Well James knew we would ask these questions. So immediately in verse 5, he says, “If any of you lack wisdom…” If you are like me, buzzers are going off in your head saying, “That’s me! That’s me! I lack wisdom in this situation that is supposed to be considered as joy. I want to be made steadfast and complete. But how?”

Ask God for wisdom in the face of trials! Ask with trust and with no doubt at all. Once again how can we ask without any doubt at all? A better question is—Do we realize Who we are asking? James 1:5 says this God is one who “gives generously and without reproach.” Do you know what without reproach means? It means without scolding me for asking and without naming all my deficiencies in wisdom or faith. How can this be? I know my faults but He knows my heart better than I do! How then can He view me without faults and deficiencies? The answer is justice and mercy.

God’s wrath is satisfied in Jesus’ death. God did not forgive my sin by saying, “Oh, just forget it” and then erase it. He did not deny His own character by forsaking justice. Justice was carried out until the consequence was fulfilled completely in Jesus and I walk out free from my sin. I am free of fault and deficiency in the eyes of God, who gives generously without reproach, because of Jesus.  BECAUSE of His great justice and mercy.

So in light of this great gospel, do you think this God is worthy of asking for wisdom? Worthy of trust? Do you think He may really be generous? Think of the way He carried out that justice! Do you think this God of justice and mercy is one you can place confident trust in that He will respond?
Sometime trials overpower my mind and cloud my vision. How can I trust God in those times? James 1:6 says to ask for wisdom in the face of your trials with faith and without doubting. But how can I get to that place through the clouds? Return to His justice. Recognize that it should have been me receiving that cup of wrath, not Jesus. Return to His mercy. Reflect on WHO He is and WHAT He has done! Then the truth of the gospel turns us to a deep, safe trust. How can I NOT trust this God to give wisdom generously without reproach?

 Katie Kasey is a 2+2 (International Church Planting M-Div) student at Southeastern. God has given Katie the privilege of serving Him in Ecuador on several occasions, as well as Ukraine and East Asia. Katie serves at North Henderson Baptist Church in Henderson, NC, with her family.  She is excitedly preparing to serve God both at home and overseas. Katie’s greatest joys in life are her two sisters Britney & Meredith and their wonderful husbands- John Marks & Ricky, and her parents Brent & Teresa. She also loves using photography and writing to encourage others and promote God’s glory among all people.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.