Summer is for Reading


6.22.09   |   by Nicole Whitacre
Reblogged from girltalk

 
When I was a little girl, if I was really engrossed in a book but was supposed to be doing something else (like school or chores), I would sneak off to the bathroom to read a few extra pages before Mom, suspicious as to why I needed fifteen minutes in the restroom, would call my bluff.

I’ve tried this once or twice with my kids too, I’m embarrassed to admit. But they can’t survive five minutes without me meeting one need or another, so it doesn’t work as well as it did with Mom.

Point is, I think anytime is a good time to read, even when it is not.

But summer is a very good time to read. There’s no school at least, so you don’t have to sneak off to the bathroom. You can stretch out on the lawn, and without guilt, enjoy a good book. (Yeah, don’t worry about the laundry…it’ll keep.)

To encourage your guilt-free summer reading, we thought we’d suggest a few of our recent favorites.
First, three books that are “just for fun:”

A Damsel in Distress by P.G. Wodehouse--a sweet and hilarious comedy about love.

The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie--the first of her lesser known “Tommy and Tuppence” mysteries will tie you in knots with its plot twists.

Gilead A Novel by Marilynne Robinson—you’ve probably heard about this book, but if you haven’t read it yet, you’re in for a treat. A modern classic. Beautiful prose

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.