Don't Quit


This month we’re asked for thoughts on service…looking back over decades in ministry, so much boils down to don’t quit.

God’s glory is at stake.  Life isn’t about me.  Or my family.  Or even, gasp, ‘our ministry’.  It’s about Jesus. 

I live for the glory of the One who died on the cross to pay for my sins, the only Hope and Light for a dying world.  I have been bought with an unfathomable price.  So I’ve given up the right to quit.      

I love what Mother Teresa once told a young missionary with a passion to care for lepers:

“It happened once…a young Brother came to me and said, “Mother, I have a special call to work with the lepers.  I want to give my life to them, my whole being.  Nothing attracts me more than that.”  I know for a fact that he truly loved those afflicted with leprosy.  I, in turn, answered him, “I think that you are somewhat wrong, Brother.  Our vocation consists in belonging to Jesus. The work is nothing but a means to express our love for him.  The work in itself is not important.  What is important is for you to belong to Jesus and he is the one who offers you the means to express that belonging.” (Jose Luis Gonzalez-Balado, Mother Teresa: In My Own Words)

It’s really all about Jesus.  So I do not quit.   

 

And yes, of course, there are verses that feed my soul - I memorized Galatians 6:9 while we were still in seminary, “let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”  So true, so very true. 


There are verses far more profound than the phrase don’t quit.  Verses empowered by the Spirit of the Living God – living and active words – words sharper than any two-edged sword.  Develop an arsenal of those verses.  And, when the fiery darts come in the service of ministry, take up the shield of faith.  Tell yourself the truth of scripture instead of listening to your emotions…especially when you’re tempted to quit. 

Women in the Bible have always intrigued me.  Their stories are varied, but they never show up on the pages of scripture randomly - God included them so we could learn from their example.  As a wife, the contrast of Esther vs. Haman’s wife captures my thoughts.  When confronted with great crisis, Esther began to fast and pray and chose her words wisely.  Haman’s wife spouted ungodly counsel and urged her husband on in unrighteousness, then turned on him in his darkest hour. 

Who do I choose to be?  The woman who fasts and prays…the one God can speak through?  Or the selfish wife of Haman, a woman who lashes out ‘just give up, your circumstances are hopeless’?  I choose to live for the glory of a God who empowers cracked and broken clay vessels for His glory.  A God who still works miracles in the lives of those who trust Him – no matter how their circumstances may appear.  So I cannot quit.

And I learn from Martha that, yes, many things need doing.  But my to-do list could probably be shorter and I could definitely lose the drive for perfection.  Spending time at Jesus’ feet, like Mary, gives me perspective.  I have to be honest and acknowledge there really are tremendous needs all around us when we’re in ministry.  Without perspective, the service required to meet these needs can seem crushing.  But God has promised all I need for life and godliness – sometimes when I want to quit, I have to realize I’ve taken on more than He is calling me to do.          

Jesus drew His disciples away for rest.  This Creator who fearfully and wonderfully made their bodies knew they needed rest.  How presumptuous of me, and how controlling, to suggest I’m so indispensable that I can’t draw away to rest.  Jesus also rose early to spend time with His Father.  What utter presumption, to think I can serve a day without His guidance and empowering – it’s as though I’m saying, ‘I can handle this day on my own, God – you’re not needed.’  Sometimes, the spiritual service of making time for a refreshed body and renewed mind are what gives me endurance in ministry.     

I find the people who made a difference in my life are the ones who did not quit.  Who didn’t go on to the next exciting adventure when life got hard…or boring.  Those heroes of the faith who proved to me, by their life, that Jesus is real and His Word is true. It’s all about Him.  Don’t quit.



 
Stephanie Mills loves being married to Richard. And mornings that start with a mug of coffee & an open Bible.  And, now that the kids are grown, exploring the world…often in hiking boots with a tent. Richard planted Faith Baptist in Youngsville, and it was amazing to raise PKs in a place where the whole family got to join God at work and see lives changed. She thinks it just doesn’t get any better than that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.