Poetry {Black History Month}

For the month of February, Walking Worthy will be dedicated to the celebration of Black History Month. 

We have loved the Casual Conversations and intentional emphasis that Southeastern has devoted to diversity on our campus and in our churches. This month, we will continue the discussion with posts from students and faculty. Our first guest post is from the wonderful Mary Ann McMillan. Read on to be encouraged!


Hi! My name is Mary Ann McMillan, and I am a student in the Doctor of Education program here at Southeastern. I absolutely love it here (so much so that I stayed for the EdD program after graduating with an MAIS in 2013). I have a heart for international missions and I would love to serve overseas someday as a career missionary. I am so thankful to be here at SEBTS.

My grandmother sent me the poem below during a time 
when I was struggling with being the race that I am. 
This poem was a great reminder 
that I needed to find my identity in Christ 
and not in anything else. Hope you enjoy.


"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

~Proverbs 3:5-6

Why Did You Make Me Black?
By RuNell Ni Ebo

Why did You make me black?
Why did You make me someone the world wants to hold 

  back?

Black is the color of dirty clothes; the color of grimy 
  hands and feet.
Black is the color of darkness; the color of tire-beaten 
  streets.

Why did You give me thick lips, a broad nose and kinky 
  hair?
Why did You make me someone who receives the hatred 
  stare?

Black is the color of a bruised eye when somebody gets 
  hurt.
Black is the color darkness. Black is the color of dirt.

How come my bone structure’s so thick; my hips and 
  cheeks so high?
How come my eyes are brown and not the color of the 
  daylight sky?

Why do people think I'm useless? How come I feel so 
  used?
Why do people see my skin and think I should be 
  abused?

Lord, I just don't understand; What is it about my skin?
Why do some people want to hate me and not know the 
  person within?

Black is what people are "listed," when others want to 
  keep them away.
Black is the color of shadows cast. Black is the end of the 
  day.

Lord, You know, my own mistreat me; and I know 
  this just ain't right. They don't like my hair or the way 
  I look. 
They say I'm too dark or too light.

Lord, don't You think it's time for You to make a change? 
Why don't You re-do creation and make everyone the 
  same?

GOD answered:

Why did I make you black? Why did I make you black?

Get off your knees and look around. Tell Me, 
  what you see?
I didn't make you in the image of darkness. I made you 
  in the likeness of ME!

I made you in the color of coal from which beautiful 
  diamonds are formed.
I made you in the color of oil, the black-gold that keeps 
  people warm.

I made you from the rich, dark earth that can grow the 
  food you need.
Your color’s the same as the panther’s, known for beauty 
  and speed.

Your color’s the same as the black stallion, a majestic 
  animal is he.
I didn't make you in the image of darkness. I made you 
  in the likeness of ME!

All the colors of the heavenly rainbow can be 
  throughout every nation;
And when all of these colors were blended well, you 
  became my greatest creation.

Your hair is the texture of lamb's wool, such a humble,
  little creature is he.
I am the Shepherd who watches them. I am the One who 
  will watch over thee.

You are the color of midnight-sky, I put the star's glitter 
  in your eyes.
There’s a smile hidden behind your pain, that's the 
  reason your cheeks are high.

You are the color of dark clouds formed when I send My 
  strongest weather.
I made your lips full so when you kiss the one you love, 
  they will remember.

Your stature is strong; your bone structure thick to 
  withstand the burden of time.
The reflection you see in the mirror . . . The image that 
  looks back at you is MINE!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.