{Insider Info} What's your degree program, Catherine?


Last week, we mentioned that our Wednesday blog posts for the month of August would be written by students focusing on the degree programs they’re in.  We thought it might be helpful to our new students to hear from our returning girls on what it’s like to be in these programs.  Our first feature is written by Catherine Blinson, one of our C@SE girls! Let’s see what Catherine has to say about being in the Christian Studies program:

So, Catherine, tell us what it’s like in your degree program?
My degree is a BA in Christian Studies and a minor in student ministry. My hope is to be prepared enough so that in whatever I do, I can help equip students to minister to others through the Gospel. Each class I take demonstrates multiple ways to evangelize to those around me.  Through the example of my professors, the guest worship leaders, pastors, and missionaries that speak in my classes, and the encouragement of my fellow classmates, I am constantly encouraged to live a life of evangelism, loving those around me.
What made you choose this degree?
I love to work with kids!  Young or old, it doesn’t make a difference; I love seeing the light bulb turn on when they finally “get” something we’ve been working on.  My desire is to take what I learn in this degree and use it to serve kids and students in various ways like discipling and mentoring.  I felt like this degree would well equip me to work with and connect with students and encourage them to grow in Christ.
How do you want to use this degree when you finish?
My plan is to step into some type of established ministry program. My heart is to serve, love, and connect with others. Whether that is in student ministry or kid’s ministry, my desire is to become a leader in their life and to ultimately help them grow closer to Him.
How have some of the courses that I have taken benefited me already?
The courses here at Southeastern are very challenging but are also super helpful. Every day, it seems like I am telling someone about my class or how the Lord convicted me during one of my classes. They are full of eye opening material and will often challenge your beliefs and thoughts on different topics.  My leadership course was very helpful. In that class, we had the opportunity to work on a project as a team with people we did not know. We had to outline and prepare what our ideal ministry within the church would be and then work together to come up with what it would look like and consist of. It was challenging to work together and agree with what our ministry would look like!
Is there any advice or any helpful tips that you would give to students who are thinking of pursuing this degree?
Continue to seek His guidance and wisdom as you pray through pursuing this degree.  Also, make sure you take time out of your schedule to get ministry experience on a weekly basis - it will change your life.

Catherine Blinson loves her Father, the outdoors, photography, and missions. She is a senior at the college of Southeastern and is apart of the Connection Point Ministry Team here on campus. She attends Open Door Baptist Church in Raleigh. You can check out her personal blog here: www.catblinson.wordpress.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.