Thoughts from Graduates {Seminary}

Over the next week we are going to hear from some of our graduates.  Our guest contributors will include a seminary graduate, college graduate and a graduate of our BWI program.  You will not want to miss out on these posts! 

Today, we are going to hear from Mary Ann, a seminary graduate.  Take a minute to see what she has to share with us.

It’s interesting to know that a race has just one line. That line serves as both the starting point and the finishing point.  I crossed that line about four years ago to begin seminary.  I thought I had signed up for a 5k only to find that seminary is actually a full fledged marathon! Now, here I am again with my toes on the line. 

Graduation is here and I must say that the feelings are bitter sweet. 



One thing is certain: I am NOT the same person that I was four years ago.  So as I reflect upon my time in seminary, I would like to issue two challenges. (Stay tuned for the challenges; they are intermingled in this post.)

The things that shaped me the most were not books or papers.  I did learn more than I ever thought I would, and I will always be so thankful for my time in the classroom.  BUT, I found that God has changed me through two specific avenues that I would like to share.

Avenue Number 1: God’s Word.  I have learned to LOVE God’s word.  I have found that a true and deep study of Scripture leads to a full and immense love for God’s word, God’s character, and his purposes in the world today.  I have been a Christian for many years but have just recently learned more about the STORY of the Bible.  Challenge 1: Take time. Make time. Steal time (from TV, from extra sleep, whatever) to read and meditate upon God’s word.  It will change your heart. And oh how we need to change. 

Avenue Number 2: Community.  In seminary, I learned what real Christian community looks like.  I was not looking for it.  Sometimes I was not sure I even wanted community.  Yet I formed friendships here where I could finally be honest and vulnerable.  I found that true confession of sin to real human beings that cared for me was life changing.  No one wants to tell others where they have fallen short.  It was terrifying.  But it allowed God to work in my areas of weakness.  No longer could I justify my sin, but rather I was held accountable! It is such a blessing to share with someone the wickedness of your heart and have them continue to love you.  It is a picture of God’s grace.  I would not trade it for the world.  Challenge 2: Find community.  Create community.  Live out the gospel in community!!

Ok, so maybe these two things are not mind blowing for you.  That’s alright.  All I know is that God used his Word and his people to work in my life while I was attending seminary.  Now, as graduation approaches, I can only look toward the next challenge.  The finish line (graduation) will now be the starting line for a new ministry as my husband and I answer the call that God has placed on our lives. 

I mentioned that graduation is bitter sweet. Bitter=leaving the community with which God has blessed me.  Sweet=never writing another paper, taking another final exam, or reading 200+ pages a week. Praise the Lord for He is good!!!


Mary Ann is from Douglasville, Georgia.  She spent four years at SEBTS and earned a Master of Divinity in Christian Ministry.  She and her husband serve at Refuge Church.  Mary Ann works at Building Blocks Learning Center and volunteers at First Choice Pregnancy Solutions in Wake Forest. She loves doing anything outdoors!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.