Pursuing Friendships


I want to tell you about 3 young ladies that I have come to love.  These ladies have taught me about pursuing a friendship.  Let me give you some background.

In January, my hubby and I decided to volunteer with the Wake County Board of Human Services for a 12 week class they were offering for the community.  It was not a Christian organization, and we actually were told that we could not proselytize.  A few others from our church volunteered each Thursday night, simply with the intention to love the people.  Most of the families that attended the classes were Hispanic and did not speak much English, so the language barrier was hard at times, but we continued to push through.  We had anticipated to just be "greeters" and eat dinner with the families and form relationships, but God definitely had another plan.  The first night our pastor approached us about working with the teens.  Believe it or not we were a little hesitant.  Lee (my hubby) was a youth minister for 3 years back in Alabama and I hate to say this but we were kind of "burnt out" with youth ministry.  Of course though, I said yes and we started helping with the youth.  As soon as I met these teens I knew that there was something about them, and I couldn't get enough of them.  For the next 11 weeks we met with these kids and loved them.

Two of the girls I instantly bonded with.  They were both in high school, very smart, kind, funny and just made me smile.  Each week I would just spend time with them during dinner and get to know them and their family more and more.  About the 5th week, I asked them a question.  It just came out.  I couldn't help it.  I asked them if they knew Jesus.  They responded that they knew God, but by their reaction I knew that they didn't really understand this Jesus that I was talking about.  Right then and there I asked them to come to church with Lee and I.  In the moment I wasn't even thinking about the "no proselytizing" issue, all I was thinking about was that I wanted them to hear the Gospel.  They agreed and we picked them up for church the following Sunday.  They were hesitant at first, but they LOVED IT.  I could write in so many details of conversations, but due to space and time I won't do that, but they kept coming.  They soon invited their older sister, who was in college, to church and she was hooked as well.

It wasn't the church building (we meet in an office space), it wasn't all the nice and friendly people (though that helped), or even the free coffee.  It was the good news that they were hearing each week.  We got them Bible's and they began to read the bible with the Gospel in mind.  Many Sunday's later, they were baptized.  That's right.  They accepted Jesus and realized the hope that they had in Him.  We watched them be baptized and I cried and smiled till it hurt.

After the class ended we continued to meet with the three of them every Thursday, and we still do today.  I look forward to Thursdays.  I can't get enough of them.  Right now we are going through the book of Mark and they come with questions and we discuss the Bible.  And believe me, they come with hard questions.  I love it though when they ask the hard questions, because that means that God is working in their hearts through the reading of His word.  They are hungry.  It's so awesome to see that, and be challenged by them.

I tell you this story to encourage and challenge you to go out of your comfort zone and pursue friendships.  These ladies are so dear to me, and I know that we will be friends for the rest of our lives.  They will hold and play with my baby and watch her grow.  They have taught me so much, and words cannot express how thankful I am for them.

You ready to meet them?  Meet Dayana, Sally and Maria.  This was taken after their baptism.



Laura works in the Women's Life Office at Southeastern.  Laura's husband, L is pursuing a M.Div in International Church Planting.  They are also anxiously awaiting the arrival of their first child, a baby girl in September.  L and Laura are members of Summit and attend the North Raleigh Campus.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.