C.R.A.Z.Y (Stephanie Mills shares on her summer)


My summer:  c.r.a.z.y.

My summer verse: And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12.2

I’ve just spent six weeks traipsing around deliciously musty libraries with the love of my life while he was on Sabbatical.  This is the glorious colorized-version of our summer movie.  Don’t miss the soft music playing in the background.  It’s actually all true. The traipsing…the delicious musty…and, definitely, the love of my life.   

Now for the black and white version:  as he was planning for his time away, the hubs saw the opportunity for a ‘research boot camp’…he l-o-v-e-s research.  And he also l-o-v-e-s me, and knows I’ve enjoyed chipping away at the degree I put on hold while I earned my GHT (getting husband through).   

So…he suggested…it could be fun to study together over Sabbatical.  So…I signed up for the maximum number of courses allowed.  Did I mention m.a.x.i.m.u.m.? It was lovely.  Really, it was.  It was also c.r.a.z.y.  And, I’m so glad we did it now that it’s d.o.n.e.   

Let me relate it to Walking Worthy’s summer theme of Staying Discplined:

My biggest fear wasn’t being crazy busy and studying over stacked dishes and smelly laundry (the hubs is pretty flexible…especially when the adventure has been his idea).  My biggest fear was…me.   Translation:  my natural tendency could be to get so ‘on-a-mission’ that I would struggle to make time with Jesus a priority.  And I’ve found that is a miserable way to live. For me and everyone around me.

I’m thankful He’s allowed me to fall flat on my face enough to know the folly of leaving Him out.  I don’t want to live a day without Him front and center…and all through...and all in all.  (I’m sure there’s a better way to say that theologically, but you see where I’m going - I’ve blown it enough to figure out I can’t do life unless He lives through me.)  

So, I asked Him to take this feeble woman’s somewhat mush-brain efforts at studying for the m.a.x.i.m.u.m. number of courses and multiply my time for His glory.  Because, I told Him, I was OK with whatever that looked like GPA-wise.  I.just.didn’t.want.to. leave.Him.out. No matter how crazy busy life got.     

He’s been so faithful.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m not heading to Harvard for grad school.  But every morning He got me up and we had the sweetest time going through Romans.  And then we talked about my husband and my children and the church family.  And everything else.  And then I studied.  Home-cooked meals served on paper plates…not too shabby.  The laundry…let’s just say whites may have mixed with some colors.  

 
Stephanie Mills loves being married to Richard. And mornings that start with a mug of coffee & an open Bible.  And, now that the kids are grown, exploring the world…often in hiking boots with a tent. Richard planted Faith Baptist in Youngsville, and it was amazing to raise PKs in a place where the whole family got to join God at work and see lives changed. She thinks it just doesn’t get any better than that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.