Contentment (guest blogger Lesley Hildreth shares)

Eleven years ago, my husband Scott and I took our children Rachel (then 5 yrs. old) and Jacob (3yrs. old) overseas to minister to the refugees and immigrants in Berlin, Germany. We spent the year before this move doing paperwork, praying about specific jobs, resigning a rural pastorate in South Alabama, selling most of our possessions, and saying goodbye to family and friends. Usually when we talked about our upcoming move everyone brought up our “leaving so many good things behind.” Most people were proud of our decision and commitment but were also troubled to think about our leaving family and friends and all of the luxuries of living in America
            Once overseas, we were rudely introduced to the reality of living in another country and culture.  Everything was new and unfamiliar. Learning how to speak another language and function in another society was a challenge like no other I had ever experienced. On more than one occasion, I was reminded of a saying my mother in law repeated often: “Bloom where you are planted.” That saying got me thinking about who had brought me to that place and why I was there. God had called, and I had committed myself to him and his care. God also reminded me of Paul’s expression of contentment in Phil. 4:11: “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.”
            I am not comparing myself to Paul or my experiences to his, but this verse is a good reminder of  the providence of God in  the lives of  His children. As a child of God, I had to realize that God loves me and wants only the best for me. For this reason, I could rest and have confidence in him, no matter what circumstances of life He chose for me. I was free to live for Christ regardless of what or who I had left behind and could truly learn to be content in this new lifestyle.
            After six years of life and service in Berlin, we uprooted our family again to follow Christ to another country. We went very willingly and enthusiastically but still had to deal with the inevitable: meeting new friends, learning yet another language, and adapting to another culture. This transition was much smoother than the first, but there were still plenty frustration, difficulty, and loneliness. The Lord was gracious; he blessed us with many new friends and gave us such a love for our new place and people that we learned once again to be content in our circumstances. Yes, we still missed our family and friends back in America and there would always be things, or food, that we would miss from our home country, but we were able to learn contentment as we rested in God’s plan. After a year and a half, we felt led into a new adventure. This calling brought us back to the US and led us to Southeastern Seminary.
            Believe it or not, our move back to the United States was every bit as challenging as any of our other moves. Yes, we knew the language and understood the culture, but we were not the same family. Our experiences and the lessons we the Lord had taught us had changed the way we looked at the world. Also, we had fallen in love with the countries and people we had ministered among. I felt that I had very little in common with my American friends, often I found myself longing to be back overseas and I missed my friends terribly. It was difficult to find a job and I struggled to help my children adjust to American schools, they changed schools three times in the first year and a half.  With all of the changes, I found myself back in that familiar place, striving to find contentment in my current circumstances of life. As with each move before, I was reminded that God had led us to this place and He would continue to provide, guide, and direct us daily. I continue to be amazed at His many blessings. I can be confident that He loves me and wants only the best for me and my family; allowing me to trust and obey in every phase and circumstance of life. With Paul I continue to say, “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content.”

Lesley is married to Scott, and they have two children, Rachel and Jacob.  Scott Hildreth is is currently serving as the Director of the Center for Great Commission Studies at Southeastern and working on his PhD in Theology.  Lesley teaches Preparing for Missions each Fall for the Biblical Women's Institute. In her spare time she loves spend time with people, read and be outdoors.  Lesley has a strong heart for the nations  and desires to see people come to Christ.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.