Need some tips for traveling over the Holidays?

If asked what came to your mind with holiday's approaching, what would you say? 


For me, it's traveling...other than Jesus of course.  :)  Since moving to Wake Forest in May 2010, we have traveled back to our home state of Alabama a few times, and let's just say that the 10+ hour drive is not one that I look forward too.  Don't get me wrong, I long for the last hour of traveling and the anticipation of seeing family and friends, but I do not long for the countless hours getting through Atlanta traffic or the awful/hilarious  "South of the Border" billboards.  I remember the first Christmas that we went back to Alabama.  It was the first time since moving to WF that we had traveled back.  During Christmas 2010, it was just my husband and myself, and our little car packed with presents and luggage.  This Christmas we will be traveling with a few more items. 

Our home trek now includes our 15-month old daughter.  And as most of you know, traveling with a child is a completely different experience.  Instead of extra trunk room, and being able to lay my seat back, we will have the car seat, baby bag, stroller, toys, food, extra diapers, wipes, luggage, gifts....you get the picture.  I have a feeling like we are going to look like a stuffed snowball in our little white Volvo with no window views.

Whether you are traveling 10+ hours or even just a hour away by car, if  kiddos are involved there are certain essentials to have in your car.  This is by no means an exhaustive list.  Some are personal favorites, and some are great tips from other moms.  These are also great for flying too.  Check out the links below for more tips on flying with kids. 


  • Extra diapers/wipes.
  • Extra pacifiers AT HAND.  I stuff paci's everywhere.  My jacket pockets, purse, baby bag, door sides of the car...everywhere! Because you will lose them.  I think there is a pacifier fairy that takes them and hides them in places you never think to look. 
  • Hand/Face Wipes.
  • Your child's comfort item.  For HG it is a pink giraffe blanket. I find myself thinking over and over again, "Don't leave the house without the giraffe blanket!!!"
  • A few of their favorite toys and books.
  • If you have older kids, maybe even go by the Dollar Tree or the $1 section at Target and get a few new toys that you can break out over the long trip. 
  • Some sort of toy that makes noise.  Just grin and bear it.  You know you would rather take a singing duck over a crying baby.
  • An extra blanket to place over the car seat for when your child falls asleep, so that the sun won't wake them up.  *Side note: I do find myself peeking under the blanket several times to make sure that she is still breathing well.  When I have done this in the past I use a really light blanket and usually try to maneuver it to where it is open on one side for air to circulate. 
  • Trash bag.  Either a small trash bag or grab a few extra plastic Wal-Mart bags you have stuffed under your sink.  Trust me, you will want this for those banana peels, dirty hand wipes, and crumbs. 
  • iPod/iPad/DVD for the car.  I absolutely know that our iPad is going to save us this trip with HG.  The Backyardigan's, Sesame Street and Fresh Beat's will be on rerun...or at least until the battery runs out.  Or maybe it's a fun cd that your child enjoys. 
  • Extra change of clothes for your child(ren).  One of our first little day trips to Wrightsville Beach, HG threw up about 10 minutes down Capital! 
  • If traveling by plane, I HIGHLY recommend bringing a carrier (Bjorn, Moby wrap, etc.).  This saved me the times that we have flown.   


HG isn't old enough for this, but how fun would this Travel Bingo be for older kids? 
Here are a few more links with some great tips on traveling with kids!  They specifically talk about flying, but the ideas work for road trips as well.
Tips for traveling with small kids on airplanes click here.

Tips for flying alone with kids click here. **I'll be flying back to RDU by myself with HG, and I got some great tips from this blog.  Check it out for sure if you are flying solo with your kid(s).

I would LOVE to hear any tips you have on traveling with kids, or just traveling in general! I pray that if you are traveling over Christmas holidays that you have a safe trip, and that we would all take the time to make our trips memorable.   Let's take advantage of the hours we have (stuck) in the car with each other to talk more about the beautiful story of Christmas.  

What are some of your tricks that make the trip bearable?  How about the folks traveling without little ones; what do you do to make your travels more fun?



Photos courtesy of 52 Perfect Days and Oh Happy Day! 
Laura is married to L, who is in the International Church Planting program at SEBTS.  They have one child, HG, who brings so much joy into their lives each day.  Laura is an Administrative Assistant in the Women's Life Office, and serves on the Connecting Point Team.  Laura and her family attend The Summit and lead a small group.  They will be leaving next fall to serve as missionaries in Europe.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your email address when entering for a giveaway.